Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This morning I woke up and gave the boys a little treat as I usually do.

Barry started making these strange sounds as he ate...so hard to describe. Almost like "laughing"? Or "chuckling"? Vocalizing is the best way to describe it.

I don't think it's bruxing because I watched YouTube videos and it's not a "tsk tsk" sound.

As I said, it's very hard to describe with the written word.

I don't BELIEVE it's respiratory in nature, because I don't hear it all the time...only every so often.

But I guess I'm alarmed because he's just now starting to do this.

Should I be alarmed?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay... well, I took him out and brought him into another room and as I did, the sound intensified. It almost sounds like a "rattling"? I did a "rat phone" and I did hear it louder, but again...it doesn't sound like a wheezing?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright. I did a YouTube search for rat upper respiratory infection sounds and I think that's what Barry has. :(

I'm going to call the vet today from work, but they are always booked. I hope I can catch it in time.

How long do I have before it's fatal?

I'm not sure how he would have gotten this. I feel guilty because yesterday during playtime, I turned on the bathtub so that just a VERY TINY stream was flowing...almost dripping. The boys checked it out and got their feet wet in it. Would that be the cause? It was a hot day so I didn't see harm in it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rats with respiratory infections can get sick very fast, so if you believe that is the problem, you should get him checked out as soon as possible.

My vet said that rats can carry a respiratory illness that they contracted when they were very young and can be asymptomatic for some time. Then the illness will develop when the rat gets a bit older and could have some other factors aggravating the immune system like stress or poor diet, although that's not necessarily the cause. I'm sure the water didn't cause the illness to develop, unless you got them wet and then let them be out in the cold. My rats are always getting their feet or head wet when I let them play in the bathroom.

Do a Google search for rat respiratory infection symptoms. I only say this because I have a rat that doesn't brux. She almost grunts or oinks and if I didn't know better, I would have been a bit freaked out by it.

Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is tricky. Because some rats do make interesting sounds. One of my guys made a chuckling sound when he was happy, even though it almost seemed like a respiratory sound..had him checked out twice and he was fine, just his own unique noise, I guess.

But I would definitely take him to the vet just in case. If it's nothing, you at least got a nice check up out of it. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding. :)

He sounds better...so I'm going to wait and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts