Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monkey and Piggle keep fighting, I've removed Monkey as she seems to be the agitator, but I don't really know what to do next, they keep running around and peeing on each other, so i'm doubting that the vanilla extract will make a difference if they're just going to smell like vanilla AND pee after... and the others are happy as pie to be together, its just Monkey and Piggle who fight, and its probably to determine their hierarchy, theres been no blood so no foul i know but its pretty **** scary when a ball of rats starts convulsing on your floor lol :s ahh. any advice on how to make them behave?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well...I would try to vanilla anyway. No harm in trying. =]

I think the only way they will behave is by astablishing their dominance. It's hard to watch but as long as there isnt blood, its just a part of the game of introductions.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Whats vanilla extract do? I use it for cooking/baking but rats?

Does it make everyone smell the same and make less fuss about scenting each other?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats essentially the idea matt, and i'll try, but they're just gonna pee on each other again anyway haha

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
These are both girls that you're introing? If o I would just let them pee they are gonna sort it out on their own eventually LoL I am dealing with introing girls right now too and it has been interesting LoL. No blood yet though which is good.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they seem to have calmed down actually, no vanilla extract needed. I allowed them to free roam the bathroom giving them the room they needed to sort out their own issues, and if ever one needed to flea an attacker she had all of the room necessary. As it turned out Piggle was the one who was creating the problems as opposed to Monkey, so after figuring this out, I put them both into Monkeys 50 gallon aquarium that was being used for her quarantine, I figured if I put them in there and they fought, it would be a contained fight and I could break it up easily. Which is pretty much exactly how it turned out except i DIDN'T break any of the fighting up because it wasn't anything crazy the first fight was as if they were testing each others strength, now Monkey knows that Piggle is younger and stronger so the fighting has lessened and has actually almost stopped. I've been monitoring them very closely over the hours and have started adding other not dominant at all rats into the tank with them to see if they would try to protect them from each other, there was no aggression at all, they were just happy to have someone else to groom.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you break them up and gently pin them both on their backs with your hands. You will be showing them you are the Alpha Rat. Then it might be easier for you to handle them when they fight.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well they seem to be okay now, but i've noticed Piggle humping Monkey, and they are both girls no worries there its just pretty weird maybe Monkey's in heat? i dunno.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I notice my girls "hump" eachother when one is in heat but it's mostly the dominance thing.

{{side note}}

I saw my girls doing this, and I knew what it was but I was sooooo paranoid that I would have another oops litter that I kept checking the girls to make sure they were girls. I did this for weeks checking for testicles and so on. I even continued checking them when they had very apparent vaginas. I was worried that some of them were fully functioning hermaphrodites that COULD get one another pregnant. The girls were getting a bit sick of me pokin around their privates, so I decided to chill. I have to admit it still makes me nervous when I see them do it lol.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lmao, well let me assure you that if an oops litter happens out of these two i'm keeping all of the babies because its a miracle.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imagine that, 5 litters of miracle babies and you keep them all, that ads like probably close to 50 more rats to the equasion, if not more... my boyfriend would kill me :| haha.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
8O fifty rats 8O

{{{{{{{{{{PANIC}}}}}}}}}}}}}

*my new mantra*

my rats will NOT have any more litters, the girls will NOT turn into fertile males, and they CANNOT mate through the air!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LMAO! you know, with how smart rats are i'm surprised they haven't found a way to breed through the air lol. The day they figure it out will be a scary day lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts