Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I just introduced my new rat, Link, to my first rat, Remy. How I introduced them, I showed Link's cage to Remy, and Link came out looking really excited. Remy didn't care though lol. Sniffed him but then wanted to clinb up the cage that I had Link in like he does with his own cage. He has a weird penchant for climbing cages. Anyway, I was quite impressed with how they behaved so well with each other that I decided to take them both out for intros. I was nervous at first because I hadn't ever introduced two rats before as this is my first pair. I took them to the bathtub in the bathroom that I had decked out with some of their stuff (from Remy's cage, Link's cage, and neutral objects) and layed towels on the bottom. They were interested in each other enough but were satisfied with exploring the bathtub. Eventually, I felt that they were friendly enough with each other (and because Remy was getting on my nerves for not staying in the bathtub, wanting to explore the entire bathroom instead), there hadn't even been dominance squabbles, that I took them to the bed in my room where Remy usually plays when I take him out. I put Link's cage on my bed for them to go in and out of. They decided they wanted to hang out in there for a while. There were a couple of dominance squabbles but, like I predicted, Remy dominatd Link because he's a lot bigger and older, and the fights didn't last long. After a couple hours on the bed, I put Link in Remy's cage andlet him explore for a few minutes. I was really nervous about this part because, while I knew Remy was fine with him on the bed where he played which he kind of owned over Link, I didn't know how he'd react to Link in his personal territory. Today was clean-Remy's-cage day though, so the cage was fresh. They sniffed and only squabbled once and then they were fine. They're still in there and have been for the last hour or so. I've heard a couple sqeaks from one of them but I didn't hear fighting so I don't know what that was about. Remy is taking a nap because he's been out all day and Link was left to explore but now he's sleeping beside Remy. So overall, this took about...6-7 hours I'd say. I hear of intros taking a week or more so I was really surprised. They get along great! However, I am concerned about something happening in the middle of the night while I'm asleep. I was wondering whether I should take Link out and put him in his cage for the night. They look quite happy together but still, I can't supervise while I'm conked out lol. Is this a suitable idea or should I leave them in? Thanks for reading this mess! I'd rather format but I don't know how to xD I'm on a phone.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Is the cage in your room? If so, I would leave them in it. Unless you literally sleep through (as in, don't even snooze) any sort of alarms you won't sleep through a true rat fight/in pain. If it isn't, I'd put them in the smaller cage next to your bed for the night. Generally, the good thing about one-day intros is everyone is so worn out they sleep hard and long.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is in my room. I don't really sleep that hard and I wake up to loud noises usually. But it'd be my luck to sleep through something serious. Like I said before, Remy's been out all day long and is currently OUT. So he might sleep through the night. I'll have to see if he's asleep by the time I go to bed or not. Thanks for answering! :3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts