Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got my new baby that I have been waiting for since the day she was born. I have been in contact with a person who had 2 accidental litters and I chose mine out of the 23 babies. She is a pure siamese rat which I have heard is a wonderful show rat. So that is exciting because she is absolutely beautiful and i got her for free. I'll try and attach a picture. Anyways, she is now 5 and a half weeks old and my two neutered boys are about 5 or 6 months. My boys are pretty laid back but of course i was a little nervous to shake up the mischief. i didn't follow proper quarantine procedures because there is no way I can possibly do that in my situation, even to put her in a different room in the same house cuz my roommate is terrified of them. So my plan was to introduce them as soon as they seemed comfortable being in the same room in separate cages.

My boys were not disturbed in the least bit by her being around. In fact, they ignored her completely and she looked like she wanted to play lol. So i took her and my very calm and laid back boy into the closet to try an intro. i had an oven mitt close by just in case. My new baby Rosie chased around Lily jumping all over him trying to wrestle and play. I got kinda worried because she was being so hyper I thought that Lily would get annoyed but he seemed to understand that she is a baby and he has to be patient with her and tolerate the sassiness. For the most part he kind of ignored her and she continued to chase him around jumping everywhere and then every so often he would gently flip her and play with her a bit. He even allowed her to take food out of his mouth and run away with it and he is my chubby boy so that's shocking! He seems to have a sort of paternal instinct towards her and is very sweet with her so i could not be more thrilled and blessed with how that went. When I put my alpha boy in with her he also tolerated it but he just ignored her and did his own thing. She jumped on him but he just walked away and didn't interact back. So he didn't seem to like her that much but he wasn't aggressive in any way. Then today when I let them play together again he interacted with her some more and did some power grooming. Let me tell you she is a spunky one! you would think she would be afraid to pick on my boys who are 3 times her size but she just gets right in there to wrestle. I still am waiting to house them together for a few days because I want to make sure the boys don't change their mind about liking her cuz I know they could easily kill her if they want to but they have spent a lot of time together and there's been no sign of anger.

The only problem I have now is that she is exploring the boys' cage right now (they have a double prevue 465 cage). She absolutely loves being with them and exploring their cage but I noticed that she can fit through the bars. Does anybody know how long it will take before she is too big to fit through the bars? How fast do they grow? unfortunately my boys were pretty big when i got them they were around 3 months already so I never imagined Rosie would be this small when I got her! She's smaller than the palm of my hand. Any ideas would be appreciated. I just don't want to keep her in the baby cage too long considering they want to be together and they get along just fine.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts