Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone,

I'm pretty experienced with ratties, having them in my life for about 7 years but this area still worries me everytime.
Mina and Bell---- my resident (Spayed) females aprox. 1year old
being introduced to
Moji-Binkey-Anna--- my 3 new young rats

I did the quarantine procedures, now there cages are set up next to each other, Mina and Bell are "puffing" at the younger rats. Not fur, but with air. At first it sounded like a wierd sneeze but I'm pretty sure it's signs of aggression.
I'm going to move them into eachothers cage for about 30 minutes twice a day for about a week, so they can smell eachothers sent and then go for the ....dreaded Introduction ( a little worried..) 8O

Should I introduce all 5 of them together in the bathtub? :?: (neutral territory) They all will get their nails clipped, get a bath, be dabbed with vanilla extract and if that goes well they will all go into a new R-699 cage (Coming tomorrow!!-So Excitted!)
Here is their set up right now..

I've read the book RATS by Debbie Ducommun over and over about this topic but they have nothing about introducing rats in numbers..
Any advice would be SO helpful!
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Re: Introducing 3 young Female Rats to 2 resident Female Rat

go with the bath, do a neutral location intro with everyone but be sure that you are able to jump in if it doesn't go well

its about all you can do because intros can go really well or really bad all in the blink of an eye

·
Registered
486 Posts

When I was introducing Mavis to Roxy and Doris a few weeks back, I introduced them to each other indivdiually. So I let Roxy get to know Mavis first and then for Doris to get to know her.
After 4 or 5 meetings I eventually put them all together in a neutral place to see how they got on all together. There was a few huffs and squeaks and "boxing", but now they all get on great and last Tuesday I put them all in the main cage and they are all living happily :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you all SO much for your advice! I will be ready and willing to be there in case of an attack...Maybe I should wear a cooking glove or something..(lol) but I hope everything goes well.. I'm trying to do this process very slowly...and do it right..
Wish me luck! Thanks again!

-Jessica
PS- also everyones personal experiences are really a big help!

·
Registered
486 Posts

I had a piece of cardboard on hand incase I needed to split anyone up. I think I used it once, but that was because I was worrying :p :oops:
I think Roxy only ever puffed up once - that was on the second meeting - but every other time after that, it was just natural little scuffs that can be expected. In the end, Mavis started to give in and let the two older girlies pin her down, now they are the best of friends :)
Just go with the saying No Blood, No Foul.

·
Registered
421 Posts

I also did mine in the bathroom...I didnt actually bathe mine together because they seem to get stressed out with the whole bath thing. But one thing that did help my new additions was to have something (actually a few things) that they could get into that the older girls couldnt get into. Mine were actually small enough to fit in the paper towel roll so I had plenty of them laying around.

Good luck with your gang :)

·
Registered
109 Posts

It might be a good idea to have a spray bottle on hand - that way you can surprise the rats if they start tussling. And it's always a good idea to have gloves - if they start biting, you don't want to be on the sharp end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts