Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two female rats at the moment and I just recently got them a big new cage thats 31 inches long 20 inches wide and 41 inches tall and with all that extra room ive been thinking about getting another rat. If I do id really like to get a male just because I'd love to have a big lazy rattie :p
Now obviously I would need to get a male rat fixed if i want him to live with my girls.. Im just nervous about the surgery.. Of course ill have to talk to ask around anyways to see if any local veterinarians will even neuter rats but Im worried about the risk.. Is it even safe?
Also how easy would it be to introduce a young male to two adult females? Would he be ok not socializing with them until hes neutered and recovered from it (ive heard it takes 4 weeks after surgery for them to be sterile)? I do school at home so I could keep him company pretty much all day while hes recovering but i know nothing can really substitute rat to rat relationships...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I intro'd a neutered male to 5 females and it went fine. Just the same procedure as intro'ing any rats! Actually the number may have been to my advantage, I just plopped Science into the bathtub as the girlies were playing and I dont think they even noticed his big self! I was told by various forum members here that boys are sterile after 2 weeks, I dont have any facts to back that up though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It takes 10 days for them to be sterile, but many forum members seem to wait for 2 weeks just to be safe
Also from what Ive read, intro'ing neutered male to females is one of the easiest intros :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh 10 days is a lot better than 28 and I'm glad to hear it should be an easy introduction.

Still the idea of the surgery scares me. Is it safe? I read that abscesses after surgery are common :/

·
Registered
604 Posts
All surgeries have risks, especially when it comes to our little fuzzies. I've been doing a lot of research on neuters and they are definitely less invasive than spays, though they don't seem to have all the benefits. It really comes down to the experience of the doctor. When looking for the right vet ask them how many they've done, how many were successful, and how many were not. They are personal questions but if they get uncomfortable (which most of them don't) just explain that you want to make the right decision. If you find a good and trustworthy doctor and follow the follow-up surgery care then you and your male rattie should be fine.

Also, the time it takes him to recover is a wonderful time for quarentine. All new rats need to be as far away from the current mischeif to prevent any spread of possible illness. Here is a link about quarantine.

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39499-Quarantine-Information

His surgery recovery time would give you time to assess his overall health and also give you binding time with him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts