Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

I have a 2-3 month old male capped rat named Panda who's very lovable and very playful. When I take him out to play he runs and leaps and scampers all over the place but always comes back to me every minute or so to make sure I haven't abandoned him :D

Anyways, I know you are supposed to keep two rats together and I am thinking of getting another male the same age to keep with him so he's not lonely. There's plenty of cage space, but is it fair to Panda (who's a real momma's boy) to force him to accept another male and share his cage space? Will he get "jealous" of the new male since he's not the "only child" anymore? Have you any problems sharing your attention between to rats?

I am afraid I will always have a favorite and it won't be fair to the newcomer...

Any info or advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think it's unfair to Panda to be alone without any rattie contact.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, you should. Rats don't enjoy being only children. In the long run it will be better for both of you if you get him a companion. Rats are extremely social and it will only make him a better pet for you and him if you get him a friend. In fact I'd recommend two friends if you have the cage room for it, the new rat will need to be quarantined for 3 weeks to be sure you don't introduce any viruses to your current rat... that way the quarantine ratty has a friend also.

Quarantine is best done outside of your home, or at the very least on the completely other side of the house as far away as possible from the shared air space of the other rats. Rat viruses can live in the human sinuses for up to 3 hours, so no handling between ratties until you've showered/changed clothes/blown nose.

I find getting more rats just leads to MORE RATS! :p GGMR = Gotta Get More Rats! I think a very very good percentage of rat owners suffer from GGMR fever. You get a rat, you get two.. you get a few more... heck... a few more! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts