Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's probably already something for this which I should be look in, but, not to be rude, I'm just not in the mood for searching through posts right now.

My rat Skye just recently passed away and now I have Kenya by herself. I could probably wait a little while before getting a new rat, but because Kenya is still very nervous to be near me, I want to get her a new friend as soon as possible.

My question is, what do I need to do to introduce a new rat to my Kenya? A quick response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You would have to quarantine the new rat for at least three weeks first so the actual introduction would be a while away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the quarantine was involved in the introduction process. I'm asking for basically, everything that I have to do to make my ratties happy with each other.

·
Registered
527 Posts
rub each rat with a tissue, then place it into the other rats cage. do this for a few days, and then you could put them together in a bathtub, supervised of course, and see how they get along.
feed each of them treats too, so they know good things happen when they get together. :]
if all goes well, put them into the cage (that you washed of the other rats' scent so it smells unfamiliar) and hopefully they'll be best rattie pals.
of course, this is all after quarantine.

i'm sorry about skye, she was such a cutie. why did she pass away?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch.
I was at school when she passed away but I'm sure it was from some sort of respiratory problem she had, where she just didnt seem to be breathing right. She was taken to the vet for it and given a shot a few days ago where afterwards, both of my rats seemed fine, but yesterday afternoon she started breathing strange again and when I got home from school she was gone.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm trying to get my mom to let me get a "buddy" for Ollie this weekend,I'm going to quarentine for 3 weeks,then introduce them in the playroom(so that it's neutral ground)I'm going to put something between them at first(like chicken wire stuff. also,if the introductions don't go well,leave it for a couple of days,then swich their cages so that they get used to the scent of each other=p

experianced people,is that a good plan??

·
Registered
549 Posts
Meghan said:
I'm trying to get my mom to let me get a "buddy" for Ollie this weekend,I'm going to quarentine for 3 weeks,then introduce them in the playroom(so that it's neutral ground)I'm going to put something between them at first(like chicken wire stuff. also,if the introductions don't go well,leave it for a couple of days,then swich their cages so that they get used to the scent of each other=p
I hear a bathtub is a good place for intros, other than that it sound fine :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts