Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raven's cagemate, Onyx passed away this morning....

I'm going to do a tribute later........ I don't really want to talk about it right now though.

I want to get a new cagemate for Raven as soon as possible- she's already been alone three days.
Do you guys know the best way to introduce a younger rat to a 1 1/2 year old? Uh, I believe the rats I'm looking at getting are maybe 4-5 months old?
I know there are multiple methods, but which one works best for rats of different ages?

Raven has no history of aggression and is a really gentle, shy, timid little thing.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Honestly I have never had any issues introducing females. There are ofcourse oddballs but from my experience girls get along fairly well.

My preferred method is to give everyone a bath together, put them in a small carrier to dry off. This is like a bonding over a bad experience method lol.
Then put them together in a clean cage.

There will likely be a few squabbles, bickering as they sort out who is in charge. This is normal and dont let it scare u. As long as there is no blood or injuries it is fine :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I have never had any issues introducing females. There are ofcourse oddballs but from my experience girls get along fairly well.

My preferred method is to give everyone a bath together, put them in a small carrier to dry off. This is like a bonding over a bad experience method lol.
Then put them together in a clean cage.

There will likely be a few squabbles, bickering as they sort out who is in charge. This is normal and dont let it scare u. As long as there is no blood or injuries it is fine :)
Alright, thank you so much! I'm glad to hear that ^^ I'll definitley try your method :)
Raven is scared of her own shadow, and the new girl, Magick, seems to be a friendly booger, so I believe I should have no trouble. Again, thank you so much!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I introduced a trio of female ratlings to my Crimson after her cagemate died of spontaneous heart failure. The trio was about 3 months when I began doing introductions, and after quarantine expired I jury-rugged the two cages together so all four could wander as they pleased. I had some minor scuffles in the beginning, but everything settled down pretty quick and Crimson was quick to take on the matriarch role. The quatuor eat, sleep and play together, and Crimson regained some new life when they all moved in together, she was in a funk after losing her cagemate.I've been toying with the idea of introducing two more rats. Not sure yet.

You should be fine. I was apprehensive as well but everything went perfectly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Apparently I've heard that you can use vanilla essence to help you out? Completely clean out the cage you want to use and spot a little vanilla essence in the corners and around the cage once it's set up again and also put a little on the ratties rumps as it causes them all to smell the same and they groom each other a little because, vanilla! And there will probably be a few scuffles for dominance and stuff but like others have said that is pretty normal :)

Let us know how it all goes!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hope all goes well with intros,,,,I lost Mouse(that's his name) in June,,,decided to re-home 2 boys, with Helix,,,did quarantine,,,used the tub method first,,,,put some water in,,,it distracts them,,,, yogurt in tub,,,,rice crispies,,,put the new guys in first, added Helix,,,and watched,,,no issues,,,some sidling and pushing,,,,did this for a week,,each session getting longer,,,put them in their cages with special treats,,,praising them. Made a corral, cardboard boxes cut and taped together,,,,down on a clean floor,,,dish of water,,a few seeds,,,just like the tub,,,no boxes to hide in,,,,no issues,,,started to add things,,over the next days,,toys,,,other treat,,,,big paper bay,,,,etc...few scuffles,,,,nothing bag,,,kept talking to them calling their names,,,,reaching in giving them nuggies,,,,again when they all got along,,, they got special treats,,,next step into the big cage,,,,best of luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts