Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in April a friend of mine asked if I would take two of her rats. I was a bit leery of the idea because like most people I incorrectly assumed rats = gross. I agreed to take two and she told me they were both boys. I still remember the moment she plopped them in my hands and I freaked out a bit. I knew I could provide all their basic needs for them, but I was unsure of how emotionally attached I would become to them. After a week of getting scratched and peed on, I was almost ready to give them back. Then I looked at their cute little faces and realized that I could not give up on them that easily. About two months later I noticed one of them hadn’t been coming out to play like usual. I took a peek into where “he” was hiding and found babies (or mini livers as I described them)! I was totally shocked! I loaded her and the babies up and had every intention of returning them to my friend. Then again I looked at her face and realized that she and the babies were not going anywhere. I moved them back to their cage and the male I moved to a new cage. Later I found out that rats can get pregnant hours after giving birth and a few weeks later I had another batch of babies on my hands. Luckily both batches were small so I was able to keep all of them. It was difficult, but we navigated the new territory together. I can’t imagine my life without them and I love them all so much. I definitely think I need them more than they need me. However, during the time Mama was caring for the babies, Algernon (Alge for short) was alone in his cage. It was during that time that he came out often for free roam with me. We built a strong bond during that time and I discovered that Alge is my heart rat. I am so blessed to have them and I am glad I did not give up on them. They fill my life with so much joy, love, and laughter. I could post hundreds of pictures of them, but I’ll control myself lol. I want to share them with the world and I hope they bring a smile to your face :)
Dog Comfort Toy Orange Carnivore
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Fawn Bumper
Toy Dog breed Carnivore Wood Fawn
Eye Carnivore Fawn Whiskers Terrestrial animal
Wood Fawn Whiskers Terrestrial animal Snout
Comfort Fawn Dinosaur Terrestrial animal Snout
Toy Wood Snout Gunny sack Ingredient
Photograph White Light Green Guitar accessory
Purple Toy Pink Art Magenta
World Toy Wood Fawn Rodent

·
Registered
302 Posts
What dear little babies. Nice to meet Algernon and co. As someone who has never owned a hairless rat, I find them very interesting to look at. Are the babies rex coats? I might have read somewhere that the rex rats are closely related to the hairless?

·
Registered
865 Posts
The 5th picture down with its ears back is SO. CUTE. Also, I was wondering what cage they're in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What dear little babies. Nice to meet Algernon and co. As someone who has never owned a hairless rat, I find them very interesting to look at. Are the babies rex coats? I might have read somewhere that the rex rats are closely related to the hairless?
Thank you. I have also read about rex rats and hairless rats, but I’m still not exactly sure what mine are lol. They lost all the cute fur they had while they were babies. Now some of them only have fur on their faces and others have peach fuzz all over their bodies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 5th picture down with its ears back is SO. CUTE. Also, I was wondering what cage they're in?
Thank you. The 5th picture is Mama. She is my wild girl! I have 2 of these Critter Nation cages for my boys and girls. It’s cleaning day so their linens and beds are all in the wash and the boy’s cage is spotless for the moment lol.
Mesh Pet supply Shelving Rectangle Gas

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thank you. The 5th picture is Mama. She is my wild girl! I have 2 of these Critter Nation cages for my boys and girls. It’s cleaning day so their linens and beds are all in the wash and the boy’s cage is spotless for the moment lol.
View attachment 306692
Nice. I was just wondering because is one of the pictures it looked like you had them in that small plastic cage. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. I was just wondering because is one of the pictures it looked like you had them in that small plastic cage. ;)
That little plastic one is what I had the 2 baby girls in for about 2 weeks after Mama abandoned them since she was pregnant again. I planned on using it as a travel house/sick bed in case I needed it, but they love to sleep and play in it so I just added it to their cage. Of course I had to get another one so the boys and girls each had one lol.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That little plastic one is what I had the 2 baby girls in for about 2 weeks after Mama abandoned them since she was pregnant again. I planned on using it as a travel house/sick bed in case I needed it, but they love to sleep and play in it so I just added it to their cage. Of course I had to get another one so the boys and girls each had one lol.
Love it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Reactions: Friendshipy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts