Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four boys, two sets of brothers that I've been keeping separate. My older set is my standard coat top ear boys Orion (black berkshire w/ headspot) and Pyxis (siamese), who are about fourteen weeks old now, and my younger set of dumbo rex babies Ceres (black berkshire w/ wedge blaze) and Sedna (patchwork russian blue self) who are about seven weeks. I've been keeping Ceres and Sedna in a smaller temporary cage, because my main is a double decker Ferret Nation and the bar spacing is too big to hold the babies (I modified the top level with extra wiring to fix this as it's where I have my smaller girls, and I'll do the same to the bottom sometime after this weekend when I have time to keep the two small boys in, but for now they can't safely stay inside of it), they obviously needed to be quarantined for awhile before I introduced them, and I was/am worried about keeping the smaller boys with the bigger boys because I'm worried about them picking on them, being territorial, etc.. I've been letting them run around together in neutral zones, and they completely ignore each other - no sniffing or anything. So finally today as a test I let them out together in a neutral zone, then moved all four into the FN so I could keep an eye on them and see how they do in the main cage. Ceres and Sedna are absolutely ecstatic to be running around somewhere big and new, but just like in the neutral areas my older boys have, for the most part, completely ignored them. Pyxis sniffed Sedna for a few seconds, went back to ignoring them, and just pinned Ceres down (Ceres was squeaking, but I assume he was just scared/surprised because Pyxis wasn't biting him at all) and let him run off when I called him. Orion has shown no interest in the babies whatsoever. I'm not sure if I should be worried or relieved. The older boys are hanging out on their shelf now and watching me while the little ones run around the main level and explore. I'm not sure if leaving the small boys in and letting them run around supervised then taking them out and moving them to the temporary cage when I'm not here will make the transition after the weekend easier for them and the older boys or not? Should I be at all worried by leaving them with them because they're so much smaller? I'm especially nervous about Sedna, as he's fairly runt-y and small for his age, and Ceres (who is almost twice his size) already picks on him occasionally, on top of the fact that I'm worried about him getting bitten/scratched since he's patchwork and doesn't have much to protect him. I feel like I'm just being an overprotective dad, because they seem to be doing fine atm and haven't shown any real signs of aggression. I just have crazy nerves!! Especially since I heard introducing bucks can be tougher than introducing does. I must've read the introductions thread fifty times over by now!

Sorry for the nervous rambling! And the next part is that there's a baby girl left over from Ceres and Sedna's litter, and I was considering going back and taking her to keep with my two girls Ursa and Minora (who're probably about nine - ten weeks old now? I'd have to double check). I heard it's generally better to introduce at least two babies two an established mischief so a single baby won't be any easy target, try to annoy the older rats, etc.. Since Ursa and Minora are still so young, and since they're does who have been together their entire lives, would this change anything? I wouldn't want to introduce a little doe half their size all alone if that would make them more keen to pick on her. They're easy going girls and haven't showed any signs of aggression (other than nipping at Orion's feet when he walks across the top of their cage, but I heard that's pretty normal?), but they haven't been around any other girls or interacted with the boys without the bars between them. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but I'd hate for any of the babies to get hurt!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If your introducing baby girls under 12wks to other girls under 12wks you shouldn't have to much of an issue. We did this once and it went really smooth, the youngest got herself beat up a little but only because her cagemate was very reserved and she has always been very hyper. (Still is!) I know with boys you want to introduce babies to adults before the babies hit 12 wks, for easier intros. I don't know how young you can intro them, I'm in a similar boat with three 11wk olds and two tiny 3wk olds and no idea how soon I can try intros! XD but if they seem to get alon in neutral and cage territory i'd try leaving them together? Maybe sleep by the cage if your worried?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id introduce your girl straight say. At that age they shouldn't notice as difference and should be instant friends.

As to the boys your 14 week olds are still youngsters really themselves as much as they may seem a lot bigger. At that age i would probably Ley them spend a night in a smaller cage to be safe and if all is well move them straight into the big cage perminantly. You find boys tend to get a bit more serious about hierarchy around 4 to 5 months. Before that is more play fight than anything else. intros are probably hardest around 5 to 9 months old when they tend to be in the period of highest hormones

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.