Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I adopted two ratties from PetSmart (I didn't know this at the time but they were sold to me sick), my poor Lily died but her sister Luna is currently on antibiotics. I can tell she's lonely when I'm not playing with her, and it makes me extremely sad because I know she misses the companionship of her sister. I've been looking into getting her a new friend(s) but I'm waiting for her to be finished with her medication before I do anything, so her illness doesn't transfer to another cage mate.

However as I've been looking around for other female rats somewhere near by me I came upon a question. I've only had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and though she's come a long way in becoming comfortable with me and starting to trust me, I'm afraid that if I adopt more rats her trust with me will decline, especially if the other rats are more social. Does that happen or will her personality stay the same? I don't want to have to start over with her again if it does happen, but I don't mind too much because I'd rather her have company and other rat family for when I'm not around or asleep. Another question I have is if I were to adopt two rats, since they're probably already cage mates or even from the same litter, would they gang up on her because they aren't familiar with her? Although I've been told introducing female rats is usually an easier process than introducing males, I'm still a bit worried about what may go wrong.

I've read up on some techniques for separating the new rats from the old rats at first so they become comfortable and confident with each other, but Im just worried they won't like each other and fight. I'm a first time rat owner and I definitely wasn't expecting all this stuff to happen right off the bat, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make Luna have a great life after what she's already been through.

Thank you all for the help and information you've already given me and I'm sorry for all the posts and questions, I just really want everything to work out and to make sure I'm doing everything right. You guys are really knowledgeable about rats and I trust you guys more than just a bunch of random online stuff (though I know it can be helpful). Anyway, I really appreciate it! Have a good day/night!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
In my experience girls are super easy to introduce to each other. I just put them together and everyone is fine. I don't suggest that though as there may be a rare issue. My favorite way to do introductions is in a bath. Bath both of them together and they tend to bond over the experience and they are both clean. Then when you put them into the cage together make sure it is scrubbed clean. Every little corner scrubbed. Every item that goes in the cage scrubbed clean. You want nothing to have the old girls scent on it. That way it is more neutral territory.

There will likely be bickering and squabbles at first as they sort out who is in charge. As long as no blood you are good. Don't interfere let them sort it out. If there is blood...separate them.

Again in my experience, I have found girls are more confident, outgoing and social when there are more of them. I would have zero worry about your girl declining personality wise. It is far more likely that she will do better towards you and also help the new girls bond better with you. Rats are very social and do well in groups. I actually think the larger my girls group the better they do. I have had girls who were awfully shy things just open up so much more because they see the other girls doing things and feel idk perhaps safer in a group.

Don't worry about asking questions :) The more the better!! It is great that you care so much.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I really appreciate it! I just worry about Luna so much since everything went down hill so fast. I'll give it a try after she's finished with her antibiotics.

By the way, do you think I should wait a week or two after her antibiotics are finished before I get the other ratties or does it really matter? I figured waiting a few days afterwards at least, but I'm not sure if I should give it more time or not.

Thanks for your time and responses! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts