Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after maybe 3 posts or so I was convinced I could handle another rat. This sweet baby was up for adoption at my local humane society, and I rushed there as soon as they opened today and luckily she was still there.

I think they were waaay off on her age, they said 5 months but my other girls are that age (roughly) and they are a bit bigger.

Oh my goodness, what a sweet baby. She has been, so far, very mellow. She's sat still longer in my hand than the other two combined lol! I put her on my shoulder and let Dahlia & Delilah come out to meet her and they welcomed her like they've know each other their whole lives :) It went so well she is already in the cage with them snuggled up with Dahlia in the igloo. She's also ran together on the wheel with Delilah :)

She is a PEW, I believe she is "fancy" or "top ear"? Not sure if those are the same or if there's a difference.

The shelter had her name as "Snowball", but I wanted something that would go along with Dahlia and Delilah. I shamelessly renamed her before we even left the parking lot lol.

So... meet Doralita!!

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
What a complete sweetheart! We convinced you then haha :D She's top earred. All rats that aren't wild rats are fancy rats :) Doralita. What a name aye!! :D Can't wait to see more pictures of them all together :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I knew her name would het comments lol I sure know how to pick 'em :p And thanks for the info about fancy rats, I thought fancy meant top ear since before I joined the forum I'd never heard the term top ear; just fancy and dumbo.

And what the heck, she has a bladder the size of a man, she's peed on me three times (not dribbles, a lot!) without a drop of water in between! I'm sure she was just scared. For being so nervous she is still very handleable. She seems to be pretty mellow like Dahlia, and maybe a bit blind like her, too; she sways bit not nearly as much as Dahlia.

I got my first nip too! I "eeked" and she seemed to get it. She already prefers to be out of the cage like Delilah :) This photo shows the size difference much better than the others.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Aw awesome! She's cute. It's so nice that they've accepted each other already:) my is completely blind so he doesn't sway at all. Maybe only the very short sighted sway to get a better picture, if she's a PEW chances are she's blind and therefore doesn't need to sway. Oh duh, you said she does sway but not as much. I don't know if all pink eyes are blind anyway, anybody?

Happy for you :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks lovemyfuzzies! I woke up today and they were all in the igloo all cuddled up <3

It's like it was meant to be... I know how some members struggle with introductions so I feel so lucky that they immediately took Doralita into their group with no issues.

I feel like maybe she can see a little bit, she perks up when she sees me coming to the cage bit maybe that's just smell? She climbs a lot too, like Delilah, do blind rats climb? I have to say I almost died when she and Dahlia were on the wheel and I came up to say hi, and they both stopped and swayed their heads at me at the same time lol!! So cute!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
My boy with red eyes sways too, his eyesight is not the best. Sometimes he runs into things when he's free ranging. :p I think he just has really bad depth perception. He is definitely not fully blind however. I've been teaching him tricks, and I've been training using voice commands and gestures. He will perform the tricks for a voice command, but also does the trick if I just silently do the gesture above his head.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's probably all it is :) Dahlia has terrible eyesight and I don't think she sees more than maybe six inches in front of her, but Doralita climbs and jumps and notices me from across the room. I can't wait to teach tricks!! I'm waiting a while to get everyone settled even Delilah who is almost bombproof seems to be a little worked up about the change. I only got the first two a couple weeks ago so I'm sure all of this is a lot for them.

Doralita is shy but coming around quickly, which has an added bonus I'm very happy about. Dahlia has been following the other 2 around so when they come to me, it brings her toward me, and I think that's really going to help her bond to me like the other 2 are doing.

Everyone's had an exciting day! Time for a nap!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts