Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a soon to be 2yr old daughter. Is they anything I should know or tips on introducing my baby rats to my daughter when they arrive.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Toddlers tend to be grabby and rough. That won't do well with rats me thinks. Unless your daughter is gentle with them; I would think constant supervision would be in order.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Well I don't have kids but I am an aunt :) I'd make sure to start teaching her to never get the rats without permission and never stick her fingers through the bars. At her age she might not fully grasp it yet but u can start.

Being very watchful of their interaction. Rats nails can be a bit sharp and they love to climb all over people, I've found it can kind of scare kids as its unexpected I guess.

Hold them and let her pet it slowly and gently. Let them run around on like the bed while she watches.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I think she will be more of the jumpy I am afraid. She loves animals but from afar, she gets nervous when they move cause they are out of her control. So I think just petting will be a HUGE step.

·
Registered
85 Posts
During any introduction to the rats, I would think it's a good idea to show her how you handle the rat(s), and just keep it calm. The idea of a peaceful time/place is probably important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts