Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if I were to bring home a 3rd rat to live with the two sisters I already have, would this cause problems? My girls are still young and so I think they'd enjoy the playmate, but being so close to one another already I wonder if the 3rd would be excluded or possibly picked on? Is there a recommended time or age to do this? Apart from birth/young AGR of course..
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id recommend introducing 2 little ones at some point. It's far easier to intro 2, no one gets left out that way Abbs 4 is a lovely rolling group size.

As to when it depends on your plans. i find that introducing 2 babies when my existing rats are around 9 to 12 months creates a lovely mixed age group which keeps older rats acting young and babies woth nice strong role models

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've also thought about this. I have two sister rats who were born in April, and have thought about adding a third, because I worry about what happens when one of the sisters passes away. The thing is, I don't think my cage is suitable for four rats (in fact, I'm certain it's not, using those rat cage capacity calculators I can happily hold three). So I'm interested in hearing what others think as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts