Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got 2, 8 month old male ratties. They are very friendly, and are used to being with other ratties. In about 4 weeks I will be getting another boy, he will be about 4.5 weeks when I get him. I have never intro'd rats before, and have a few questions...

1. How old should the new baby be (or size/weight ect) before I can introduce?

2. If the new guy is comming from a reputable breeder, who I know cares well for her rats, and they are healthy, is quarentine necessary?

3. Do most males get along with others (intact males)?

4. How should i begin intro's?

Anyone's advice is welcome, and greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the answer to q2... if you live in the usa or canada, then you MUST quarantine for at least 3 weeks. this is to prevent the transmission of SDA from new ratties to your current ratties. i dont know if SDA is prevalent in the UK or europe... someone from there can answer that. if you're in australia, we dont have SDA, so its not as essential to quarantine, but its probably a good idea anyway, just in case the little one has a rattie cold or similar that can be passed on.

q4... intro's should be done carefully and in neutral territory: eg in the bath or on your bed. have something like a large piece of cardboard to separate fighting boys (they can scratch the **** out of your hands), and have plenty of toys (pvc tubes, boxes, etc) for them to hide in/play with.

good luck!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
SDA is a highly contagious, very dangerous virus. :(

It's really common on the coasts of the US, from what I've heard.

Sendai is another virus to look out for, I believe.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, quarentine will be done then! For that they just need to be in a different air space, and I have to clean up well after handling him right?

Anyone know how it is transmitted?

Anyone have more answers for my questions? :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Through the air, on skin or clothing. Make sure to go from your rats to the new rat if they're in the same home and/or wait a couple hours/wash up thoroughly to go from the new rat to your rats. It does 'die' eventually outside of an appropriate body, but you don't really want to take too many chances. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Your post comes at a good time, because I just wrote a long-winded post on quarantine and introductions which you might find helpful. You can find it here:

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3991.html

Let me know what you think and if you find it helpful. Also, what questions you may have after reading it.

To answer your other questions:

1. I don't believe rats are even supposed to be separated from their mother until 5-6 weeks, so I'm surprised you're getting one at 4.5 weeks. After your rat is finished with quarantine he should be able to be placed with the other rats (After introductions).

2. I think others have already answered this.

3. Males can fight at times, but also sometimes they get along. It really just depends on the rat. If you properly do introductions, it should help matters go smoother.

4. I think my post should help you with this one.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats are usually separated before 5 weeks, just to be certain there's no pregnancies.

4.5 weeks is young, but acceptable, I suppose. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CJ Your post is very imformative (i bookmarked it) I dont have any questions right now, but i will be sure to ask when I do :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts