Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted two rats from the shelter 6 months ago, unfortunately one of them had underlying chronic respiratory issues that he did not show symptoms for right away, ultimately he ended up passing leaving his cage mate by himself and he is a rat that prefers other rats over people. I was able to find another rat to hopefully introduce them to each other, the new rat is almost 6 months old. I was told my the vet that my older rat might also have chronic respiratory issues (myco). He just recently started showing a little more symptoms but has been getting treatment as needed. I don't want either of these two rats to be by themselves for much longer, they need a companion. However, I am worried about my newer rat getting sick and also developing chronic mycoplasma and I don't want to lose another rat.
Has anyone done this before? Would the new rat be okay if I put the two of them together?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hello and welcome! I have not had experience with this, so I had to research the disease. It is a genetic predisposition, and apparently bred into pet rats. CRD can be transmitted from rat to rats. Some show no signs of infections, some get very ill. If you suspect your new rat has the same chronic illness, then I see no harm in putting them together. Then you can treat both of them at the same time. Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts