Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having some issues introducing my current rats to the new baby rattie. I mean I just started doing this three days ago so there could be some set backs.
My one current rat, Deckim, I think is territorial. And she isn't as big of the newbie. And Mei (the new rat) just follows Deckim around I don't think she's doing it in like a stalking way she just is trying to be with her. I still believe that they can all live together
Do you guys have any suggestions. I've been switching each other's bedding and nest boxes another thing I heard to do is switch cages briefly just so they can get each other's sent. I'm planning tomorrow to introduce them in a mutual environment. Or am I moving to fast with this?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Did you do like a proper intro first?
What type of set backs? Like has their been actual fights? Blood? Injury?
How old is everyone?

I really prefer to wait to intro babies until they are atleast 8 weeks old but 12+ is better. One so that they are larger and can hold their own better but also because babies can be annoying lol. They are more energetic and have not yet learned rat social graces too well. So they get on the older rats nerves, are told to stop and don't..so it can lead to fights. Like how the Mei is following around Deckim, it is probably getting on her nerves.

I'd separate them and wait like a week. If you have multiple rats and some are getting along well with Mei you can do it in two groups.
Then start fresh with a proper intro.

My preferred method is to put them all in an empty bathtub together. Get some messy yummy food like chocolate syrup, baby food, yogurt, etc.. and put some on everyone. It will mask the smell & give them a yummy treat to make the experience positive. They should be distracted and bathe themselves and maybe even each other.

If that goes well... then give them all a bath to wash the food off. This also bonds them over the stressful bath and masks smells. Put them into a small space like a cat carrier, I sometimes use a clothes basket because they are too busy getting dry/bathing to escape but it depends on your rats. Fill it with towels and keep them warm.

if that goes well...then they can be put in the cage together. The cage needs to be literally deep clean scrubbed. Get into every corner and nook. Vinegar is your friend. Everything inside the cage also needs to be scrubbed- food dishes, water bottles, beds, toys, etc... everything is either clean or new. The goal is to have zero rat scent leftover.

In bad situations I would even clean around the cage and/or move it into a new room for a few days.
Also make sure to have multiple of everything- two food dishes, water bottles, beds and place it all on different levels/sides of the cage.

There may be some squabbles or bickering. But if there is no blood or injury then just let them work it out on their own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mei is the youngest at 7 weeks old. And the others are rescued so they were thinking like 5-6 months old.
I bathed all three of them to make sure they didn't have such a strong scent. I then went and put them in an empty clean bath tub and they did good. Mei tried to hump Deckim but I stopped that very quickly. Once i brought food into it Deckim completely changed though. I knew Deckim has like food aggression. Mei tried to sneak around and get some food from my hand and Deckim wrestled with Mei until she stopped squirming. (Only like a split second cause I yelled at Deckim and pulled her aside for the rest of it. Yeah I do think they don't like how much energy Mei has. Quinn does very good with Mei until Mei tries to play too much. I looked and there was no blood from their quarrel. I might be just a little nervous and over thinking there meeting too.
On another note, I've been trying to work with Deckim on her food issues. I know how to work with a dog with food aggression but not ratties. I might be doing it wrong but by putting the food in my hand or petting her while she eats well just making sure I have contact with her.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If your older rats are 5-6 months old, you should probably wait til the baby is 12 weeks old for intros. You can use more than 1 feeding dish if feeding is an issue or scatter feed.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Mei tried to hump Deckim but I stopped that very quickly.
Only like a split second cause I yelled at Deckim and pulled her aside for the rest of it.
I would also suggest not interfering as much. As long as there is no injury or blood those little spats will happen & you really just have to let them work through it. Mostly they just have to learn how much the other one will take and who is going to be more bossy.

For food issues I just suggest removing the problem. Try not to give them a reason to fight over the food by offering it both at the same time or in different locations.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Look for signs of aggression such as hissing, puffed fur, walking side-way, tail switching...if you see any of those, take the aggressive rat out right away: she is about to attack and she might really hurt your new rat badly. Do not wait for blood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts