Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a random thought while cleaning my cage. So you know how the critter nation cage can separate/close off the top level but drawing the bridge right? So I was thinking hypothetically what if someone was to introduce their rats that way. By letting them smell each other and etc. But keeping it securely closed and not letting them meet for a few weeks. Of course giving them on each level food, water, and toys. The way you introduce a new cat. What do you all think?

Disclaimer: It is just a thought. I’m not doing this. Just wondering what would happen.

·
Registered
277 Posts
For some (if not most) rats that would probably be fine (I’d still go through the whole intro process). But if you have a very dominant, very territorial rat, being able to smell them but not get to them can make things worse in my experience.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If you are going to let them interact through a barrier then you may as well let them meet completely. If a rat is going to be fine with that intro method then they would be fine face to face, and if they are going to give you issues then the gate will frustrate them and may cause them to bite each others toes and such through the bars (and I've seen some serious injuries made this way by people either trying to intro this way or letting their rats climb on each others cages during playtime when they aren't a bonded group). Overall for well tempered rats it would work, but in that case you may as well just let them meet face to face, and for rats that have issues with intros then it could easily go wrong (for these rats you want to avoid the cage all together at first, since this will cause them to be more agressive due to being in their territory that smells like them).

Basically I agree with ratsbian

·
Registered
802 Posts
But if you have a very dominant, very territorial rat, being able to smell them but not get to them can make things worse in my experience.
That is what happened with my rats and my brothers rats. My rat Cloud is SUPER territorial, and once when my brothers rats were playing in my rats playpen (Connected to the cage, if door is open) and he was SO. STRESSED. Never again.....

Reactions: ratsbian
1 - 4 of 4 Posts