Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... Sorry for all my threads, heh.
Umm, basically i have a fatty boomboom named Basil and he's no older than 2 months and after i got him i decided to get him a little friend, his name is Bandit and he is a bit younger than Basil. Well, today i decided to let them play on my bed as they already "know" each other. Basil got really excited and just wanted to cuddle with Bandit and groom him but Bandit how he is the crazy one of the two just wanted to jump on Basil and nibble him and pee all over poor Basil. I know its normal for rats to pee on each other and all, but Basil is too sweet for Bandit, if that makes sense at all, haha. I was wondering if there is a way to calm Bandit down and stop him from being so mean to Basil? Bandit bites him to the point Basil squeaks a little, but theres no blood.

Excuse my english.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's ok that's the point of the forum.. ;D

Bandit is trying to establish he is the dominant rat, which is normal, particularly as they go through puberty or meet a new rat. When you say hes biting Basil do you mean wide open jaws chop or when he has Basil pinned down is he like nom nom nom on Basil? When a rat wants to dominate the other it will flip it onto its back and pin it there. The flipped rat will then lay still and get power groomed by the dominant rat. During the power grooming the submissive rat will give off little squeaks which is a normal part of the behavior. The general rule is no blood no foul but sometimes hormonal rats can be very persistent with the domination ritual which can lead to them requiring neutering. They are young so you aren't near the stage of considering that yet because its a normal process and they need to go through it. In time they will do it less and less once their ranks have been established.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts