Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home two baby rats over a week ago, and they've been in their own cage next to my current rats' cage. The first introduction ended up in an emergency vet trip, and I've been scared to try another introduction. How old should the young rats be before I introduce them? I've been waiting until they get larger. The current rats puff up and huff at the babies whenever they're moving around. Is this normal? They're female rats and I really didn't expect them to be so aggressive.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
eek that is not good. Idk if I would even try introducing them again after that. I would probably also move the cages away from each other so they are not constantly stressed out. It happens with some rats that they just can't get along with others or new rats and if they are going to be in danger it just isn't worth it to me to risk it.

How old are the babies? I generally say over 8 weeks old they should be big enough to hold their own with an adult. Alittle older even better.

What method of intro did u use? Was it on neutral ground?

if u do want to try again you might try switching them out of their cages. So like...3 days in their normal cage, 3 days in the other rats cage. So your main girls are in the other rats cage, while the other rats are in your main girls cage.
It will get them used to the scent, and have them make the cage their home. But monitor them to see how they are handling it and if they are too stressed.

I intro my rats during a bath. Everyone gets a bath together then they are put in a small carrier to dry off.

But the only rats I have that get so upset & huffy/puff up are my boys who can not be around other rats because they will seriously attack them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the babies are about a month and a half, and I did introduce them on neutral ground after bathing them. I'm so stressed out over this. So it really is a serious thing that my girls are puffed up/huffing? I'm scared that they'll hurt the babies again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're both almost entirely healed. My plan was to wait until they're used to each other through the bars and until the bubs are bigger. They're all very sweet rats, so it stresses me out.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have been reading here on the forums that female to female introductions should not be attempted until the younger are 10-12 weeks old. Adult females will try to kill pups that aren't theirs, so they have to be past the pup stage to safely introduce them to adult females.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
They're both almost entirely healed. My plan was to wait until they're used to each other through the bars and until the bubs are bigger. They're all very sweet rats, so it stresses me out.
My two rat aggressive boys are the sweetest rats u can imagine towards people. One of them will just follow ppl around begging to be held and give kisses. But they see another rat and will attack.

Some rats just can not be together. It isn't easy and it is upsetting. I really wish my boys would be nice. But don't let it color your view of your rats any different they are still your sweet babies.

·
Registered
870 Posts
How will I be able to know when the bubs are 10-12 weeks old? I'm not sure of how old they are.
Consider the day you got them as the day they turned 4 weeks old. Even if they were a little older, they weren't likely to be younger, so 6 to 8 weeks after you brought them home they should be old enough for introductionsl

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In October I'll start the regular introductions then! I'm still working on socializing one of the new rats. I think half the problem is her pink eyes and figuring out whats food/hand/rat/etc. She's a serious pooper too, but I have to get her to appreciate our time together before I can work on the extreme pooping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I washed each rat today and it changed a lot between the groups. They're all now leaning against the bars bruxing and boggling staring/sniffing at each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts