Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I bought Daisy and Dahlia from a family run pet supply store where the owner breeds her own rats. I have known this couple forever and they take pride in their rats. They sell fish and a few hamsters, nothing big. Only have 1 litter at a time.Anyway, I went back today and bought the remaining 3 girls left from the litter. I bought my original 2 a Double Critter Nation on Friday and it was so big for just the 2 (reason why I bought the others). Intros went well, we had them in the playpen but they can all climb out now, so it was constant grabbing and putting them on the ground. I decided to put them all in the cage together. They are doing wonderful and socializing without any problems at all. Except Daisy. She seems to be pouting. Not aggressive at all, just playing a little and going to the side to sleep. She comes to me when I open the cage, but just seems sad. I let her out and gave her extra love, but it breaks my heart. I have closed off the top from the bottom for the night, leaving Daisy and Dahlia together and Dandelion, Delphine and Daffodil together on the bottom. I will keep it this way while I'm working and only let them together when I can supervise. My question is, what can I do to help Daisy? I know I probably shouldn't have put her sisters in, but space is a little limited here and I didn't think this was a bad way to do it since it's essentially 2 cages and the girls have only been in it 2 days, so not too much time to be territorial. Is she just sad? I know she is healthy, we already went to the vet. Her sisters all look fantastic and they will be going to the vet this week, too, as this is how the owner has her health guarantee set up.Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edited to add that Daisy has gone up and groomed her sisters and let them groom her, too.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
She just needs to adjust. It's like getting a new roommate.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would move them all into half your cage. In a smaller space they will get used to each other faster and its gets them over that period of being a little unsettled. Once everyone is relaxed with each other then open the cage back up again. As long as all is going well i dont reseperate after intros, it can actually cause more problems doing that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea. I didn't think of doing it that way. I think Daisy will be ok since she isn't aggressive, just sad, but I didn't want to stress her out to the point of her lashing out while I'm not there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts