Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister who is only 9 has a guinea pig that she doesn't always get out so sometimes when I'm letting my rat run around I'll put them both in the bathroom together (under supervision). My rat will just run up to it touch it's face, smell it, then walk away and not even notice it. We also have a small dog that doesn't care for rats so sometimes they will both be on the couch with me and my rat just loves the dog and shows a lot of with it but I don't let them get close.. I wanted to know if I got another rat do you think her being friendly to other creatures would be the same towards another rat? Or would it be a completely different story

·
Registered
444 Posts
This is very tricky, because personally I think it can depend wholly on the rat. I've seen pictures of rats snuggling up to cats and all sorts! But I think other rats would be terrified. Obviously this is always dangerous as animals do have natural instincts and although you think you can trust an animal it has the potential to turn at any moment. If you started the rat around your other animals at an early age and did it in a safe way for everyone involved then yes I think it would be possible for another new rat to be just as friendly as your current rat. I believe in pushing boundaries to test all kinds of different things (without this we wouldn't have anything we do today), including animal relationships. Just keep it 100% supervised and remove any animals that show the slightest signs of distress. And remember all rats have little personalities and are completely different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts