Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Ronnie recently lost his brother Phantom. So a few days ago I went out and got two prepubescent little babies. Both are so sweet and gentle. And Ronnie is a loving social butterfly who loves everyone he meets. I shouldn't have too much trouble with introductions right?

·
Registered
213 Posts
How old are the babies? Older males can sometimes attack younger rats. If they are older than 6 weeks then it should be fine, especially if Ronnie is more laid-back.

I'm sorry about Ronnie's brother. :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'd introduce them in a neutral zone first of all, like a bath tub. (Put yogurt on your fingers and let them all lick it off!)

·
Registered
395 Posts
When introducing baby rats to adult rats I put their cages side by side for a week so they get used to one another. Afterward when the babies gain some growth I do in person intros with close supervision and of course a gloved hand. Rats can attack in a split second. They are lightning fast. However, my technique may be wrong. But it did work with one pair of rats I have where one was the adult and one was the baby.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had the best intro experiences where it concerned older male rats and young male rats. They just kind of fit in together seamlessly. I'm sure it depends on the individuals, but introducing girls was much more challenging for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually what I did was just let them on my bed at the same time. Ronnie was always especially friendly so I took the risk.
He loved the babies! He gave them so many kisses. And they both seemed to warm up to me more after they met Ronnie. I don't leave them alone together yet, still need to train the babies their names and calling commands, and need to duct tape wires before they are allowed off my bed.
But I'm thrilled! It was happiest I have seen Ronnie since his brother Phantom passed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts