Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the instructions on introducing rats together but I'm still unsure about how to introduce my two groups. Right now I have the existing group of three boys together, and the "babies" in a separate cage. When I started to do intros there was a lot more scuffling and bullying of the little guys, and two of the big guys got into it with each other. I decided to separate them and wait a while. The big boys have had a few scuffles in the meantime - the brothers are 7 months old now and trying to establish who is boss. A few times it's gotten a bit intense, and the boys come away with scratches. Not full out blood-drawn fights, but they're definitely struggling. In the last week they seem to have mostly settled down. The little boys are used to each other, as they've never been separated and have no issues. I'm not really sure if I should introduce all the babies to the big guys at the same time, or do more of a one-on-one, with the three babies introduced to one of the big guys at a time (alpha first).

Currently the little boys and the girls I just got are in the DCN (separated of course). The big boys are in the hated Feisty Ferret cage until I can get the second DCN. Once I get the second DCN I plan on swapping the boys around, letting them smell each other, and then doing a monitored intro in the bathtub.

Just nervous about how to intro the two groups - all together or doing the babies with one of the big guys at a time. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
First off cage swapping and repeated intros can tend to have the opposite effect and draw out adult to baby Buck intros. The one I really recommend is the carrier method as a good starting point. Have a read of this article here, it talks about the process, things to look out for and the 4 main intro methods. Hopefully it helps http://www.isamurats.co.uk/introducing-rats.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Isamu!! I'm going to bookmark your site, lots of good info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts