Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so.. I recently got another rat and I decided that tonight I'd introduce her to my other 2 rats.

I put a little bit of water at the bottom of the tub and introduced her to Aurora first. Everything went good.

I then took Aurora out and introduced her to Beatrice. Everything went good.

So then I let Aurora and Beatrice in with her and still everything was going good. Then all of a sudden Aurora starts getting rough with her. I thought she was just grooming her but it looked like she was bitting her. The new rat was squealing so I broke it up and a gave it a few mins and tried again without Beatrice in there. Same thing. Aurora was biting her.

So I have Aurora to my boyfriend who was in the room to hold onto her while I let the new rat and Beatrice finish seeing each other and Aurora bit my boyfriends ear and drew blood.

What is going on?! She's always such a sweet girl. I don't think she meant it. Maybe just the heat of the moment?

What can I do to make things better between the new rat and Aurora?

The new rat is substantially younger. She's about 8-10 weeks old and my current rats are almost a year.

I'm so upset right now. Please help :(

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think the general rule that I've seen is not to introduce females younger than 12 weeks to older females (though I've done it and been successful). I'm sure Aurora was probably just worked up about the scuffle with the new rat and that's why she bit your boyfriend. You might try something a little more "scary" like putting them into a carrier and putting them on top of the dryer while it's going or taking them for a car ride together. It's not my favorite way of introducing, but it forces them to be less focused on showing the new rat who's boss and more focused on being in a "bad" situation with each other which will usually cause them to group up for comfort. One of my sweetest girls is always the hardest when it comes to introductions, so don't feel bad.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's literally so small in comparison. I'm terrified that she's going to kill her if they get into another scuffle:(.

Would it be a good idea and wait until she's a little older? I can let her play on my bed with Beatrice (they seemed to have gotten along)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, I'm so sorry you're having this problem. I hope you get good suggestions. Our girls have always been easygoing with newbies. We have at least three different litters, six in total and they've always done fine. Sometimes a mild scuffle, but never anything serious. Best of luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know if it will help but whenever I do introductions with my girls I do multiple introductions in neutral territory over a few weeks before putting them in the same cage. I find just because they're happy in a neutral zone doesn't mean it'll be all good once the new girl enters their cage but if they've had more time with each other before hand it generally means they're at least friends before they start sharing a cage. That doesn't mean all these introductions have to happen in a bathtub though even having them together on a bed can work.
I'd say aurora only bit your boyfriend cause she was stressed over the changes happening around her. rats can get stressed easily when it comes to having new rats around. It doesn't make her a bad pet just means she reacts more strongly to stressful situations than another rat might. I'd just keep that in mind with her when doing future introductions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also what u could maybe do is keep only letting them hang out in neutral territory until baby gets bigger than if they do scuffle it's easier for you to break it up before she gets hurt.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the carrier and it worked good!
It seems like Aurora is fine with it for little periods of time and then out of somewhere she will just go up to her and start bitting her. Not hard. Just scuffling. I noticed that she grabs the scruff of her neck and drags her like a mother would to her baby (I think?).

I had them all in a small cage which forced them to interact with one another. That went okay. A few scuffles between Aurora and Ramona. Beatrice actually stood between them once and covered Ramona almost as if to protect her.

They're in the critter nation now and it seems to be good. I expect scuffles but it's going good so far.

Thanks everyone :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts