Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So quarantine time is over, I did it for 4 weeks and today I sat down in the bathroom and introduced my new baby with louise and they were just kind of ignoring each other and just doing their own thing. When the baby would get to close to louise she'd side kick her but she wouldn't puff up or try to bite she'd just kick her and push her a way.. I'm hoping things are going well.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
If your baby is under 10 weeks old things can go very badly... adult females tend to attack other rat's pups... When our Max was a pup, Amelia actually snuck up on us and tried to drag Max off... she punched a rather nasty hole into the side of Max before we could stop her and it went lightning fast. During intros Max returned the favor and gave Amelia a rather vicious bite in return as soon as they met again... Then they scurried under a large cabinet and had an hour long battle royale and came out best friends... Every few minutes one rat or the other would pop out and show me she was still alive before diving back under the cabinet to resume the combat... it was ugly but it was over fast.

I've never had an intro that didn't involve some combat... the rats ignoring each other isn't necessarily a good sign. Fuzzy Rat simply ignored a pup I introduced her to until the pup tried to nurse on her then she lost it and attacked the pup... Even Fuzzy Rat, the smartest rat I've ever known couldn't control her aggression when it came to pups. She had practically no problems with other adult rats though...

So depending on how old your baby is, stay close and be careful. In any case you should expect some degree of at least mock combat before your girls settle in together.

Best luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I had all there together there is some mounting, power grooming, pinning down, squeaks but no hard play

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
OK, 12 weeks is a pretty good age for girl intros and it sounds like they are interacting so it sounds like the intros are going pretty well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is forced grooming okay? Once the rat getting groomed squeaks a few times the one grooming it will back off but I feel like they are just doing it allll the time.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
People that come to Rat Forum love to get definitive answers and those of us who comment here love to give them... but when you deal with intros you are dealing with different rats at different stages of life with difference prior experiences being managed by humans of vastly different personalities and experience levels... So basically no two intros go the same way. I've tried all kinds of methods, both indoor and outdoors... I've had intros over in 5 minutes and one that took 3 weeks. Some friendly and down right fun to watch and some bloody, including my own blood in the mix. So far, the commonality is that all of the rats have become fast friends in the end and have joined into our blended rat and human family. Strangely, most intros work out no matter how badly they start off...

Isamurat, has been most likely the most courageous among us to start a thread on the subject, I personally try to manage intros hands on, but to be honest when that didn't work I just set the rats free in the house to work it out for themselves... and they chased each other around for weeks breaking things and brawling until finally after a bloody two hour long battle the rats fell asleep in a heap together... and peace broke out again. I observe, try my favorite methods and adapt to the rats as I feel I need to. In hopes of getting a better true shoulder rat, we asked the breeder for his most outgoing rat, basically his alpha which we introduced to ours and as you can expect we got two rats that absolutely refused to back down. It certainly wasn't what we intended, but it worked out in the end after the worst intro ever...

I tend to think a little forced grooming isn't too bad, but it all has to fit into framework of progress. If you see things getting better, what you are doing is fine. If things are getting worse, it's time to try something else. Sure our last intro lasted 3 weeks but every day less of the house was being fought for and the final battle took place inside our old rats secret nest... which was the last defended territory and when that was over so was the war. Every day we saw progress... fewer fights over smaller territories and less things knocked over and broken... So I just swept up the broken porcelain and stayed out of the fight and everything worked out... This is of course the worst possible method for intros, but it was the right method for the two rats I was dealing with. Mostly, the best advise anyone can give you is to stay close and play it by ear, as long as no one is getting killed and things are getting better, you are doing pretty much as good as you are likely to.... In the end rats tend to work things out on their own... most of the time.

Best luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts