Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..so if i got another rat about 7 or 8 months and i introduced him to my other male rats who are a bout 1 year would they get along?

·
Registered
500 Posts
In my opinion, because of the similarity in ages, it should go pretty smoothly. The only time I've ever had any problems was introducing a very young male to a much older male, but even that was fine in the end. Just took a little more work and caution.

Should be fine, but check out the sticky topic "Adding a new rat to your mischief? Read this first." on this site. I think it should have everything you need to know. :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't think age is a major factor with introductions. You should be ok. Do make sure to read that sticky though, because it is AWESOME and was written by an AWESOME dude.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
this is the exact ages of the two males I couldn't introduce

I truly thought I was going to lose one when I saw the battle scars. He did recover but they were never able to be introduced again. Even now, when ever Nubbers sees DD he shrieks. He has two other room mates that I was able to introduce... one of which was in this age range. That intro went exceptionally well.

So the point of my story is this.

You'll never know how well an intro will go until you try. Since this is a fact you have to plan for both contingencies. If the intro goes well... cool. If the intro doesn't go well... then what's next? Until you can answer that question & have a proper plan for a failed intro, I wouldn't suggest you attempt one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cjshrader said:
I don't think age is a major factor with introductions. You should be ok. Do make sure to read that sticky though, because it is AWESOME and was written by an AWESOME dude.

Lol'd.

·
Registered
500 Posts
A1APassion said:
So the point of my story is this.

You'll never know how well an intro will go until you try. Since this is a fact you have to plan for both contingencies. If the intro goes well... cool. If the intro doesn't go well... then what's next? Until you can answer that question & have a proper plan for a failed intro, I wouldn't suggest you attempt one.
This is a good point. I have a female who is alone right now. In a very spacious cage with a lovely igloo and fun stuff, but still...alone.

She's got such extreme aggression problems (she's a pet store rat) that she can't be with the rest of the females, the 5 of whom get along wonderfully. Although I hate for her to be alone, she puffs up, hisses, and attemps to slash at any female we've tried to intro her to.

I assumed you had a backup plan, in case the intro doesn't work out. Do you? I now have a 2-3 year committment to a "lone rat" who needs extra socializing, attention, and most of all, time. This is worst-case-scenario, and isn't typical, but just be prepared. From my experience, this has been only one of two cases where I had a rat who absolutely couldn't be into'd successfully, out of many many successes, so I'm not trying to be a downer. :wink: In all likelihood it would turn out fine, but still, ask yourself what you'll do if it doesn't.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts