Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I introduced a new rat Nugget to my rat Nameless. I used the carrier method to introduce them. Introductions went well; there were some minor scuffles but nothing serious and after a few hours I transferred them to the big cage (with the top half blocked off).

Since they've been in the big cage about once every 30 minutes (sometimes more, and then sometimes not for a few hours) Nameless aggressively grooms Nugget, and Nugget patiently allows for a while before squeaking a pushing Nameless off. Normally I would just leave them in the big cage and allow them to work it out, as there's been no serious aggression.

Here's my problem however: I have work today, and my Husband was supposed to be home to watch them in the interim, but this morning he was unexpectedly called into work. There is going to be a three hour gap where neither one of us is home.

Should I separate the rats while both of us are gone, or leave them in the big cage or transfer them to the small cage? I just want to make sure everyone is safe and happy.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd probably stick them in the carrier for another day to be safe, then leave them togtehre tomorrow. It gives you a little more peace of mind. I wouldn't separate at this stage unless you really have to as it can cause more issues

1 - 2 of 2 Posts