Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have five boy rats none of which are neutered. I'm not aware of anywhere that spays or neuters rats but I'm starting to think that introducing Felix into the cage with the other four boys (Oscar, Buster, Ramone and Melvin). They get along okay when I put them together outside the cages to play but Melvin really seems to dislike poor little Felix. Felix is just seemingly really happy to be around other rats and he really wants to be accepted by them. Today he tried to climb in the open door of their cage and Melvin pulled him in and attacked him. They both came out fine and I ended up with a big scratch on my thumb. I don't know if there's anywhere in my province that spays/neuters rats. I would be more than willing to save up some money to have them neutered but the question is would I have to neuter them all? If I did would it stop Melvin's aggression?

On another note, I keep their cages next to each other so they can smell and see each other pretty much all the time. They can interact through the bars of the cages but it seems they choose not to. When I have them out playing what would my best option be to keep them from fighting? I've heard of people just using sprays of water (everyone knows how much they hate that.)
Any help given is greatly appreciated =).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That bit of aggression likely had something to do with the rat 'intruding' on Melvin's territory.

I'd do a lot of out time with Melvin and Felix to let them get used to each other and possibly try cleaning out Felix's cage to have both of them in it for a while.

Neutering would only have to be done to the aggressive one, as far as I'm aware. It would lessen his aggression, but it might take some time. :)

Sprays of water may distract them, but if one is fearful, it may only make it worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts