Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max passed away on the 22nd of January, leaving his cage mate, Joey, alone. After going to a vet, they determined that Joey is a healthy rat. So I cleaned out the cage, and later, bought a rat.

I've already completed step one, QT. I've done many things to let the two get to know eachother, but Joey is a muchy bigger size then the new guy. Whatever I do, Joey always picks on the little one, not just a little push, but fairly, aggresively.

I'm hoping that someone might have a suggestion or technique that works, or will help introduce these two males.

Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'm sure it'll clear up. the big man will settle down. the little guy will get more confident. wait 1 week or 2 before u say if there are any things that happen, if u get wot i'm sayin

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Squeak said:
Max passed away on the 22nd of January, leaving his cage mate, Joey, alone. After going to a vet, they determined that Joey is a healthy rat. So I cleaned out the cage, and later, bought a rat.

I've already completed step one, QT. I've done many things to let the two get to know eachother, but Joey is a muchy bigger size then the new guy. Whatever I do, Joey always picks on the little one, not just a little push, but fairly, aggresively.

I'm hoping that someone might have a suggestion or technique that works, or will help introduce these two males.

Thank you.
Max passed on the 22nd
Even if you went out the very same day to get the 2nd rat as of today is only 7 days & you would have at least another 7 days of QT to go through for an absolutely minimum 2 week QT period.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It should be 2 weeks quarentine ! But since theyve already met its kinda pointless now..

Try putting them in a bath with water. They tend to forget that theres a new guy. And also minimises the different scents he will pick up. Or dab them with some vanilla esscence.

There is a sitcky around about intro + quarentine. Have a read through xx

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Squeak is in Australia - Very much like the UK in the respect of the illnesses common in petshop rats in North America/Canada are reasonably uncommon here (and there). SDA, I've heard (don't quote me), is virtually unheard of in Australia. The need for QT is not as extreme.

Just saying o_O

All I would say is that a week is not enough time to ensure that your new rat has settled properly, and problems such as mites/lice etc may not be evident

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
sda and sendai have not hit aussieland yet.... our quarantine rules are so strict we cant get dumbos or hairless ratties at all.

and i have to say in squeaks defence.... i have never quarantined any of my rats, my neighbours rats come over to play, and we've never had any health problems (except for a pt but thats different)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts