Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've kinda been lurking for some time, just gathering info and being a creeper, but i am here now, hallo :D

my name's Moe, i'm a New York expatriate living in Florida, i live with a big silly man named Sam and now a trio of rat sisters that we gave nerdy names to because we're nerds (Buffy, Xena and Scully- because we're all about badass 90's tv chicks)

so we had a couple rats about three years ago, for a short time, that we got from the pet store... i insisted we try to get a pair from an actual breeder of actual pet rats, but there were no breeders or rescues close by at the time, and our hearts bled for them in their cramped tanks... it soon became apparent they weren't socialized, and with our work schedules being so erratic back then, we couldn't take proper care of them and took them back. i felt awful, but we just didn't have the experience or the time. now that we have a regular schedule, and i feel a bit more confident about having rats, we lucked out and found someone nearby who bred pet rats :D

these girls we have are still young, a little over three months, and we haven't even had 'em a full week yet- this is where i throw out a bazillion questions and hopefully you experienced folks take pity on me :D

what would be the best time to get these ladies spayed? i've seen sites suggest 3-6 months, but i feel like i should give them time to get more comfortable around us before we go carting them off the the vet for invasive surgeries...? good idea?

however, i want our Scully's teeth looked at immediately- she's developing malocclusion for sure, but she is eating and drinking normally. her one bottom incisor is poking up her lip, not cutting through but just kinda pushing it up so she looks snaggle-toothed; the opposite top incisor appears to be curling inward. i'm really worried about that one. i think i may just go to the vet tomorrow...

also, they all seem curious about us, they'll come to our hands and sniff and lick and nibble (though Buffy is definitely nippy which i'm trying to correct with "no"), and they don't mind terribly being stroked and petted, but they still don't seem thoroughly comfortable being picked up, and i don't want to chase them around the cage. of course it's only been some days since we brought them home so i know it takes some time... but does it normally take a week or more for young rats to warm up to new owners? and do you have any specific practices to get them comfortable? i've been reading to them with my hand in the cage (i think they enjoy Terry Pratchett), stroking them gently and speaking softly to them, using their names and giving them treats (as i say "you wanna treat?" because i saw somewhere they'll associate the sight of your hand with food and not the sound of your voice, which could make them bitey?)- also, treats being small bits of apples and grapes, and today i gave them a little bit of plain scrambled egg. for how long and how often should i try handling them?

i am glad though that they warmed to their cage almost immediately, and even seem to be using one corner exclusively for their "business", though they still make occasional mistakes in the improvised hammock i made 'em (the hammock we bought was too big so i sewed up an old t-shirt and safety pinned it to the top- a temporary solution but they seem to be enjoying it up there)

also, what are you listening to right now? i'm listening to Buffy furiously chew a rat block :p and also the LotR movie soundtrack :D

· Registered
601 Posts
Hi hi! It can take rats a while to settle in and be comfortable with you, and that depends entirely on their personality. :) Check out the Immersion thread by Rat Daddy, it's very helpful and his method definitely works. If Scully's tooth is curling/poking her lip then yes, you do want to bring her to the vet and have it clipped.

I'm not too sure about exact ages for spaying, but I do know it's more beneficial if it's done when they're young. Here's a bump for ya.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i read the whole Immersion post just now, and it's really cementing all the tidbits i've read about rats :D i absolutely need to get some plastic or cardboard to make barriers and get them outta the cage- they're definitely interested, so we should start having free-roam time... the more i watch them, the more dog-like they seem, and i've got plenty of dog experience :D

· Registered
2 Posts
I am also new to this forum, and am supremely stoked that it exists! Just had to say I appreciate that I am not the only one in need of learning all the things! Well worded!! :p Also, good questions. Specifically the one about a good spay age. I just rescued three girls of my own and I know my vet could tell me what I need to know, I too dislike the idea of boxing the girls up again and dragging them to the vet... so soon after they've been settled anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.