Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two rats that I'm trying to introduce. So far, the past two days have been troublesome. Alice was the first rat that I had for about three months before I adopted Pepper. I wanted to get Alice a friend since I got promoted to full time and I didn't want her to be alone. So I adopted Pepper. I kept them in separate rooms first, for almost a week, then I placed Pepper's cage next to Alice's. Left it like that for a week, and now I'm doing neutral ground meetings and for the first couple of days it was going great. On the first day, I did put on some vanilla extract to help mask the scent and they groomed each other a little bit, the second day I didn't use any and they were perfectly okay. The third day, Alice went after Pepper and a fight broke out, I was able to pull them apart but that was the first fight and it made me nervous. No injuries on either rat. Tonight, when they were back in the tub. This time, I sat at one end of the tub and let them both climbs all over me after they had been in there for fifteen minutes together, and when I stepped out, there was a lot of mounting being done by Pepper, but as soon as Alice would squeak, she stopped. Alice seemed to have had a enough of that and then a fight broke out. I got them to stop, and pulled them each away from each other when I saw the ratty slapping going on. Pepper now has a large cut on the back of her towards the base of her tail, and a few tiny scratches on her tail itself. Her woman bits were also bleeding a bit, but I'm not sure if that's from being in heat or from a scratch, there is no injury t to the lady bits and after wiping her down with a towel, the bleeding at stopped.

I put on neosporin on Pepper's cut, but now I'm a bit discouraged because I'm not sure if I should keep going with the introductions, or just get Pepper her own cage.

Should I give it a few days? Wait till her wound is healed and then try it again? Keep using the vanilla extract on them? D: I dunno what to do, I obviously don't want Pepper or Alice to continue being hurt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Keep trying. I think female intros are harder than males. Read the sticky thread on the carrier method, I have used it successfully several times. Maybe that would help?

·
Registered
425 Posts
One thing that I have heard works is putting the two of them in a bath tub with like 1/2inch of water in it. They kind of get distracted by the fact that their feet are wet, and instead of fighting they get used to each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I actually definitely did the water thing, they weren't too happy about it, a lot of squeaking but when I drained the water out they were definitely a little more well behaved. Thank you for the help. :3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts