Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with two boys, Bart and Homer. They were cagemates to start with. They have their scuffles but nothing very serious for 6 months. Around the beginning of August I added two more boys Nelson and Milhouse. They live in cages separate from each other but near each other in the same room. I alternate roam time every 12 hours or so. I've started to do the actual intros recently, in a bathtub two at a time until all four were together, there was of course some rolling and screaming going on but no blood, and it seemed like they were sorting out what needed to be sorted. Today I moved the intros to the main room and things didn't move so smoothly. I'll start with Homer, seems to get along with everyone, doesn't puff up and seems happy to just hang out. Bart is another story, he seems to be the head rat, he didn't bother with Nelson much before and has a huge issue with Milhouse. Today Bart drew blood on both of them. first Nelson, nothing worse than I seen before but blood still, and Nelson more less submitted right away. Then there is Milhouse, Bart puffed up and did the thing where he inched closer and closer and kinda pressed Nelson against the cage then they went at it bouncing all about until Nelson bailed and I removed Bart. I checked him and he has this long gash on his back, it's shallow and isn't pouring blood but by far the worse injury I've seen so far. My older boys are in their cage, while the others are out.

I feel so bad, I think I'm doing something wrong. Can I expect this type of thing to continue? I don't want to put Milhouse in anymore danger, he's already skiddish. do I go back to tub intros. Not sure how to proceed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts