Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird problem to have!

Last month I posted about my lonely rat, Brandy. tl;dr her cagemate had died and she was pretty unhappy. Yesterday I bought a pair of 5 month old rats with cage to be her new companions and set up their cages close to each other.

All parties were immediately interested in each other, climbing up the bars to get a good look and running to see whenever I did something to the other cage. The change in Brandy was massive; she was active and running about, even making her 'thinking' noise, which I hadn't heard her do in a long time. She even spontaneously climbed out the side door of her cage- which she's always been too scared to- to get closer to the other cage.

I know you're supposed to wait a few days, but things seems to be going so well I decided to do the initial introduction. I set up a neutral area (the kitchen table), with some peas as a food distraction, a towel and tunnel to hide in and the travel case to put a stressed rat in. Glove rat at the ready, I put Brandy on the table and placed one of the new rats...

Absolutely nothing.

They sniffed each other then walked off. Within 5 minutes they were sitting side by side and grooming each other. After reading horror stories and how difficult introductions can be I was baffled. After 10 minutes of nothing happening I took a gamble and fetched the second rat.

Aside from some vigorous bottom-sniffing, absolutely nothing happened. No poofed-up fur, no squeaking, not a single sign of aggression. It's as if all three were littermates. At one point all three climbed into the travel case together and formed a big rat pile. When I took them back to their cages Brandy even tried to run into the new cage!

What's going on? I'm certainly not complaining things are going so smoothly, but I honestly didn't expect all three to get along so easily! Maybe I struck lucky with personalities (Brandy loves company, the other two are incredibly curious and playful), but after hearing such terrible introduction tales I'm baffled. In fact, the only injury done was to me, when one scratched my finger!

Tomorrow I'm going to introduce them in a play area to see if being in 'her' territory will affect Brandy's behaviour, but at the rate things are going they could be sharing a cage within a week. Is this unusual, or have I just been reading too many negative stories?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It went like that for me but then they started getting cage territorial so I cleaned the cage and then put the new rats in the others clean cage for half the day while the others were in the newbies clean cage. Then after half a day I would put them together. I did this for three days and it seemed to work.

·
Registered
870 Posts
All but one of my introductions went well. Usually let rats play together while I cleaned and rearranged the cage. Put everyone together in "new" cage. Voila! New mischief. In one intro one of the home girls wanted to evict the new members but by putting her alone for a week, we got past that problem. Whatever your intro experience is probably a "normal" intro. They can run a gamut of different modes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is this unusual, or have I just been reading too many negative stories?
Just an observation I've made while reading various forums. Negative stories tend to get posted a lot more often than positive or neutral stories. After all, you don't hear about the time your friend drove safely to work. You hear about the time your friend got side-swiped by some moron who thinks he owns the road. So there are thousands, I'm sure, of introductions that go great, but you never hear of those because the people don't think it interesting enough to post. But you'll see warnings or pleas for help whenever something goes wrong.

And there are some bragging moments or OMG moments that do get posted (such as yours) that are positive, but they tend to get drowned out by the negative experiences, even though those negative experiences are very likely a minority.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts