Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
The two introductions I've done have gone so much better than what I prepared myself for. I think the majority of rats are happy to accept newcomers and new friends! Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly! When I did mine I served everybody a tasty meal in the introduction area that they all had to share.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Jerry just flipped my resident biter! (Rupert). Theyre just happy to groom each other now!!! Although R & A are now frozon to the spot as Jerry crawls on them haha. Oooo good call :) Ill do that!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theyre now in the carrier (have been for over an hour), no sqeaks or fights...

Where do I go from here?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That sounds brill. i would leave then in overnight if you can get a water source in and then move then into a small empty cage tomorrow when you can supervise unless your carrier is tiny.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The carrier is a cat carrier (the grey argos one) is that big enough? If need be I can completely clean the Ferret Plus cage now (next smallest I have from the SRS) and put them in there with nothing but water, scattered food and something open to snuggle in?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I also add I leave the house at 8am and wont ve back till 5.20 from work so cant watch them in a cage tomorrow till I'm home so they'll be in the carrier for nearly 24 hours... It just seems a bit cruel :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad to hear another person's intros went well. Lately there was so many heartbreaking intros on here! It was scaring the crap out of me for mine that i recently did. They said that adult rats will kill babies cuz they see them as prey and things like that. But I was as shocked as you were to find that literally nothing bad happened. No squeaks...no fights...no drama lol my baby was only 5 weeks old and is literally 3 times smaller than my boys. Since my boys are neutered though i had what is supposed to be the easiest intro: neutered boy to female. and my boys are very laid back. Rosie was absolutely thrilled to be introduced to my boys cuz i think she missed all the babies she just got taken away from so right off the bat she was chasing them around and tackling them constantly trying to wrestle. I got nervous that my boys would get annoyed with her and be too rough or try to kill her cuz she's so tiny. And it was amazing because they seemed to understand that she was a baby and they had to tolerate her and look after her. My chubby boy even let her take food from his mouth. She follows him everywhere and they are always cuddling together. i couldn't believe how flawless the intro went but i waited a couple days before I housed them together so I could make sure my boys didn't get annoyed and react aggressively at any point. I let them play together for a few days and separated them for bedtime and then after 2 or 3 nights i officially housed them together.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Sorry i didnt get back to you, i use a cabrio carrier for up to a couple of days when i do intros (or go away overnight). As long as they can get water its fine for them. Its not a perminant cage by any means but as long as its secure and they can move around each other its fine for overnighters.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't know what to do so put them in the Furet Plus with no shelf, scattered food, two water bottles and nothing to hide in. I was in their rat room till 3am and no squabbles so I went to bed (I also have super sonic hearing haha! So I felt quite safe knowing I would hear any goings on). Checked this morning and they're all cuddled up together so going to keep them in there till Monday whilst I take the SRS to get jetwashed and sort that out. Use just the top half and after a couple weeks, let them expand into the bottom. Then I'm going to take the middle out as suggested by yourself :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts