Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 3-4 month old rat i have named Gus and recently bought 2 more babies from a breeder. They are 5 weeks old i think and tiny compared to Gus. I tried to introduce one of the new babies and Gus and I had a terrible moment of fright. Gus actually grabbed the little one by the neck and started to drag him over into the corner of the room! This didn't feel safe to me, so i immediately separated them before either of the two could get out of my sight. Exactly what happened there? Something told me i shouldn't let it go on, but at the same time i want the three of them to get along together. If i did something wrong in this, let me know. I want them to play nice together, but am a little afraid to let them be around each other.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is Gus neutered? If not I don't think it's at all safe to be trying to get him to live with babies.
Also--you have to let Gus establish his dominance,only stop him from injuring the babies, DON'T stop little conflicts... they want to know who's boss. A little bit of roughhousing is normal.From what I've heared when doing intros, squeaking is okay, screaming is not. Just watch them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, none of the little guys have been neutered. I did not think it was nessisary yet. If they had been fighting or what not, I would have been ok with it. Just the way he grabbed the baby in his mouth and tried to run away from me with him, scared me. Not sure if it was just an over active protectiveness since they are babies or if that was a bad sign or what.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts