Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started phase two-four of intros!

Refresher- Lola is the new rat, about 8 months old whom I got from a lady off of Craigslist because she decided her two year old didn't quite have the tenderness for a rat yet.

My old girls are Belgie and Sevilla, and they're about 6 or 7 months old.

Last night I let them play together on a "neutral" area (a fleece covered table, fleece that none of them had seen before), and everyone pretty much ignored each other, until the end when Belgie started sniffing energetically after Lola.

They're cages have been next to each other for a while now, and everyone kind of ignores the other, except every once in a while Lola looks like she wants to play with the other girls.

Then this morning I had the "old girls" out on the bed, and Lola up on my shoulder. Well, she jumped down onto the bed! So I guess phase three started... Everyone played really well, sniffing around, sometimes ignoring each other. No squabbles yet, though I can tell it's sort of building where they will wrestle to sort out dominance. Belgie runs after Lola sniffing her behind, and Lola sometimes gives me this look like, "do I have to play with HER?". Ha, it's so cute.

But it's going well. I'll update again later.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think "power struggle time" has come.

Last night Sevilla humped Lola a couple times, and then Belgie once for good measure, I guess. She just wants to make sure everyone remembers that she's the alpha, I think.

Today I put both cages on my bed, doors open and rats running around, to give all the rats time to smell each other and their homes. Again, everything went just peachy. Belgie and Sevilla had a grand old time exploring Lola's cage, while she kept following them around in a way that I couldn't help but think she would have been saying "no, don't touch that; oh, I just redid that shavings pile; hey, get away from there; wait, that's my private corner!" She'll get used to her new friends, I hope...
Every once in a while she'd run over to me like, hey, get them out of my house!

But no hard feelings, I guess, because she just went over and explored Belgie and Sevilla's cage. Then they all proceeded to steal food from each cage's stash and carry it over to their own special place. Or Belgie in particular just sat and ate Lola's food right in her own cage, right in front of Lola!

Then I saw more chasing/humping/wresting, and some power grooming, I think. My question is: if Sevilla's normally the dominant one, and she gets power groomed by Lola, is that the dominant or the submissive power grooming? I read somewhere that the alpha rat will make the lesser rats groom them sometimes. It was a little weird.

Lola did stick up for herself pretty well, though, especially against Belgie. So I think with a few more days they should all be a pretty happy family.

And it's so much fun having three! There's an exponentially larger amount of activity than there was with two, it's so entertaining. And they all keep coming over to me still, saying hi and demanding attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts