Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ivermectin for mites?

I suspect my little mischief might have mites. :( I don't know of a place around here that sells revolution... would invermectin work? How much of it should be given?

I've heard of it for mites before but I hear about revolution a lot more so I'm a bit worried about using it...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/equellreg;-paste-ivermectin-187%

I know it's specifically for horses but this is ALL we have here that isn't outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aaand... I still spelled it wrong but can't edit anymore. I'm sorry, guys. I've never had to do anything like this before.
TSC also sells http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/durvetreg;-ivermectin-paste-187%-608-g
and http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/zimecterinreg;-(ivermectin)-187%-equine-dewormer-paste-single-dose
and http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/horse-health-equine-ivermectin-paste-187%
and http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/farnamreg;-ivercarereg;-paste-equine-dewormer-025-oz

I don't know which is best. I know they're all the same concentration but which one would be the easiest to supply? It's given orally, right? I have males but they're fairly tiny for males... should it still be 1 full grain of rice or should i go with 1/2 just to be safe?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Fortunately there is a lot of room for error when using ivermectin so overdosing isn't really common. If your rat is a pound or over than the dose is the size of a grain of rice. If your rat is under a pound than the dose is 1/2 a grain of rice. I use Horse Health 1.87% ivermectin paste. http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php

·
Registered
874 Posts
I always thought that Ivermectin was for lice and Revolution for mites. I know you said you can't get Revolution, but I'd also like to know if ivermectin can be used for both.

Also, if it is mites, don't just treat the ratties, mites like to hide in wood. So best to either totally disinfect any wood products or chuck them out. And then the cage overhaul I'm sure you know. Good luck, but once treated properly you should be fine:) oh also if the ratties have been on any furniture in particular that has wood... Same applies.

I had to totally disinfect and I scrubbed my daughters headboard when she looked after someone else's ratties, they only played on her bed. Had no contact with my boys at all, but the little buggers were in the headboard. After she gave the other ratties back the minute ours went onto her bed they got mites. I was so peeved! Anyway, we were quickly sorted thankfully.

Bit of useless info there... Sorry it's after midnight, I'm tired and sick to boot. My hubby is away this week so um....talking a lot.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kind of disappointed invermectin won't work as well :| However, it's all we have. All their fleece stuff will be washed twice tomorrow, first with laundry soap then with Dawn dish soap and then again with no soap.

I'll throw away their wooden toys, change out the bedding, and clean the entire cage down with baby soap and water.

Then I'll give all the boys their invermectin and wet them all down (wash them the best i can with baby soap) and put them back in the cage after drying.

Should I restrict fleece/cloth things until they're scab free? How long should it take the scabs to heal up? I'm sorry for all the questions but I've never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don't worry about questions, that's how we learn. Sorry to hear the ivermectin doesn't work as well (thanks Mrs.Brisby) but at least it can work, so let's hope for the best.. I'm not sure how long the scabs will take to come off. If try just give each rattie a few minutes for the ivermec to soak into their skin before putting them back otherwise it might be licked off. I may be wrong.

Do you have a baby sterilizing agent like Milton? I used that to clean out the cage cos the baby soap won't sterilize. If you have that you could try just soaking the fleece as well before washing it? Once all is dry I don't see why you can't put the fleece back in. The mites just hide in the wood as far as I remember. Once the wood was sorted and everything cleaned and my boys were treated I put them all straight back. But that was with revolution though.

I haven't had the chance to read the link Mrs.Brisby posted yet so that might also give more info.

I hope they are mite free very soon. When I treated my boys and disinfected, churched the wooden toys etc. they were home free, but again that was with Revolution.

Let know how it goes, best of luck.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It works for mites but I do not recommend it since you require three consecutive treatments with it every 7-10 days to ensure you kill all stages of the life cycle. The reason why this is not as effective as revolution is because you must do extremely thorough cleanings in between to ensure the rat is not re-infected and since there are so many applications, there is a larger margin for error in between. With revolution, you rarely need a second dose as it inserts into the bloodstream via topical application and it is very effective - especially for mites which are a pain to eradicate successfully. Another thing to keep in mind is the general health of the rat/s exhibiting symptoms of mite infestation as, generally speaking, rats partcularly show symptoms when their immune system is weakened (from either illness, stress etc). I am not sure if there is a place to buy kitten strength revolution online however I have previously seen people recommend sites without a prescription - not certain how legitimate or legal that is though. If you have a good relationship with your vet, you should just be able to make a phone call and pick some up - ectoparasites are very common after all! Cutting your rats nails will help quite a bit with scratching in the meantime (if you can manage it and they don't protest too much). Good luck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly my boys won't let me cut their nails and I am not comfortable doing it. Going to a clinic to get it done would cost me $35 per rat which is ridiculous just to get nails done.

The only dosage of kitten revolution sold around me is $42 for a huge dosage I'll never use. I'm also really scared of using topical things... revolution can't be eaten, can it?

I don't mind repeating the same disinfecting process for 3 weeks or longer if it's going to cut down on the mites. :( I just want my boys to be okay again.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Both of the applications can be ingested but you apply them in places where the rat cannot self groom (normally behind the ear or between the shoulder blades) away from cagemates. Then you typically wait till it is dry by which point it is generally safe to put them back in together.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Gosh it's such a pity you can't get Revolution from the vet. It was so easy for after reading this, I'm so grateful. Your prices there are terrible. Really feel for you. Hope it all works out ok and you successfully get rid of the mites.

My ex husbands girlfriend went a different route to treating after I told them about Revolution and after a year my daughter says she doesn't even touch their rats because they still have mites. I can't begin to imagine how irritated those two rats must be but not in my power to change it. But they didn't use ivermectin either, I was horrified to hear that he got some stuff ( he said there's not only one way to treat it, when I told him about Revolution and offered my vets no ) anyway he had to mix with water, then apparently he put the babies in an ice cream tub and shook it around to coat them!! Clearly a case of... Get rats for the kids, but don't care what happens to them. It breaks my heart. My daughter is special needs and she's straying to teach them how to properly care for the ratties. If the boy of 10 doesn't clean the cage it stays dirty!

Sorry...right off topic now. I just hate those who can't defend or fight for themselves. It just gets my goat! :(

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lovemyfurries, that is absolutely positively horrendous. If the mites aren't fixed by this I might have to call the vet's and see what they can do about it. Really really not looking forward to $140 just to walk in the door for a nail trimming...

I'm also kind of confused and I want to be absolutely 100%sure before I do this. Ivermectin is given orally, in jelly or yogurt, correct? Mixing it, I mean. I'm fairly certain but I don't want to do anybody harm by giving them something I shouldn't!

I feel so bad for the little guys. Some of them have awful scabs - and it happens so quick! I don't know how anyone who would be so heartless as to leave them like this for a whole year... :'(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ivermectin comes in many forms. The kind I used was a paste. I squeezed out the recommended dose onto the plastic end of a small paintbrush and then just wiped it on the back of their tongues. It was the only way I could get them to eat it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, everyone! I figured out when I opened it that it was paste... so I got a spoon and put some chocolate pudding on the back of it, and used the spoon to get a rice-ish size of the medicine, then pulled a little pudding up with a toothpick and mixed it, then presented them with only the endmost part of the spoon... worked like a charm. They all went to bite the spoon and took all of the medicine in one bite.

My only concern now is that Moose is kind of acting like a maniac. Running around - it took me almost half an hour to catch him in the bathroom (my fault, really), climbing up and down, just acting nonsensical. Could it be because he's worked up from having two and a half hours of free time then suddenly being put back in his cage? Maybe he got worked up because I kept failing to catch him and he ran off again?

What side effects should I be looking for now, if something happens? I know it's hard to overdose, but just in case.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The ratguide lists the possible adverse reactions as: Lethargy, a drunken gait, seizures, tremors and anorexia.

·
Registered
874 Posts
So glad the dosing went well:). I really hope that with the three treatments and cage cleaning etc that the mites will be gone for good.

I know the story I told was horrendous and I wish I could have reported them or done something more. But the advice wasn't wanted and if I'd done anything else my daughter would have been treated nastily. It's happened before. So I had to just keep my distance and not get involved.

I went downstairs with Monty on my shoulder one day when her dad came to fetch her and he said " oh, I could have got you one of those from the gutter " I was so angry. Monty is a beautiful agouti with the nicest nature and I've just taken him to the vet .... He's just been diagnosed with a Pituitary tumor! :( I am heartbroken! My last boy had one too and they weren't even related, I mean how is that possible?

Sorry but I just had the news. I know it's not the right place to be going into all that on your post.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Ivermetcin dose work very well on mites. Here in the UK its the standard treatement for rats, however we use a solution rather than a paste so its possible its better absorbed. Theres also a fair bit of evidence out there that one treatment (at least of the type we use) covers rats for a full 3 weeks. I know i have been using it for years and found it works very well agasints lice, fleas and mites.

In terms of mites though its worth noting that there is a belief that most rats carry at least a few at any one time (unlike lice or fleas which have to be caught from somewhere) as such they may be endemic in the population. A healthy rat can keep them under control via grooming etc but when they fall ill you often find a flare up. Saying that i dont see many mite issues over here, the odd rat gets mange mites on there ears (never had it on mine) wheras lice are much more common and easy to spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts