Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iris has two mammary lumps on her back leg. I think they're malignant: they've more than tripled in size, one is black, and they're staying flat. I've decided not to operate because she is three, she's been through an operation this year already tgat was major, and because I suspect they're malignant.

My big concern now is quality of life and when to pts. I believe her gait is starting to be affected and have posted a video; she is now for the most part staying laying down unless treats or other motivation gets her up. I've already decided that, while I can allow her to adapt to some lump changes I don't want her to be more lump than rat. And with it being possibly malignant I don't want her to deal with it bursting or infections. I just don't know when to call pts and my vet isn't helpful on this.

I know with excessive laying down comes urine burns and she already struggles to groom down there. Is there anything else to watch for?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=BeU_WD33pH8

http://imgur.com/wWypZk5

http://imgur.com/EodYGLP

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

Any hints on how to care for a rat who is becoming sedentary ?

She migrated to the top of my LCN where the main food an drink is located an she doesn't have to climb for aught but she doesn't seem to have gotten out of the hammock since around 11am, 7 hours ago.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bump.

Any hints on how to care for a rat who is becoming sedentary ?

She migrated to the top of my LCN where the main food an drink is located an she doesn't have to climb for aught but she doesn't seem to have gotten out of the hammock since around 11am, 7 hours ago.
Poor little thing :(

I'm honestly no help in this situation because I'm a new rat owner but it seems like you're doing all you can to make her comfortable. Just make sure she has water and food easily accessible to her and keep her as comfortable as possible. As for as pts, people say you'll just know when it's time.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry about your Iris. 🙏

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this point I'm positive she is barely leaving the hammock I have hung. She struggles to groom, she lays down to eat, and I've lowered the bottle for her. I'm not really sure if she can climb up the cage or back down it.

She still seems chipper when she knows it's treat time but I'm so worried. The lump is really growing week to week.

·
Registered
555 Posts
At this point I'm positive she is barely leaving the hammock I have hung. She struggles to groom, she lays down to eat, and I've lowered the bottle for her. I'm not really sure if she can climb up the cage or back down it.

She still seems chipper when she knows it's treat time but I'm so worried. The lump is really growing week to week.
Is there any way you can bring her to the vets and see if there's anything they can do for her?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts