Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Before I say anything- I would like to request that everyone refrains from telling me to go to the vet. I came here for some constructive advice from experienced rat parents. I like to do reasearch before I go to the vet, because I have had nothing but bad experiences from vets and doctors alike when it comes to diagnosing illnesses. I do intend to take her in for a check up, but I live in a rural town, so the nearest vet is over an hour's drive and I work long days.
Now back to the eyelid thing:
So, after work today, I went in to give Pepper, my 2 1/2 year old dumbo rat, her afternoon snack, when I noticed one of her eyelids were red and slightly irritated. Her eyeball itself is bright, clear, crust free, and she is able to blink normally. Also, I noticed that her stool has recently been maroonish, so that's why I think it may be porphyrin...but for some reason, only one of her eyes is inflicted...She drinks plenty of water, and I don't *think* she is malnourished, because I feed her different vegetables daily, plus I give her Oxbow food, which is supposedly a good brand. I don't smoke, and I never light fragrant candles in the room where her home is. I use cloth bedding in her cage, so maybe I didn't rinse the detergent off well enough. I didn't smell the soap on the bedding after I washed it, but I know her little nose is more sensitive than mine, so I am going to try switching it out today. I've always used cardboard boxes to make her houses, and it has never been a problem before. Could she have possibly developed a sudden allergy? Her cage is virtually dust free since we use cloth bedding and I have never noticed the usual respiratory symptoms in her. Her breathing is normal. Her fur is soft and glossy but we are struggling to rid her of mites(tips are appreciated). Her ears look a tiny bit pale(could this be from the mites?), but they are still pink and her feet are pink. She can jump very high, and she has good balance. She is very energetic every day, but (regretfully) her cagemate, bean, died a few months ago leaving her alone in her cage. Could heartbreak/loneliness be a possible cause for illness? I was unemployed for about 4 months, and I JUST got a job last week, so I am planning on using my first paycheck to get her a friend. It makes me sad that she is alone, but my mom is opposed to me keeping her in the first place, so she refused to lend me the funds for a new little one. Although, I do take her out a lot and let her hang out with my cats and I. She likes to play with some of my more gentle cats(it's so cute!). I keep the ones that stress her out away from her while she's out roaming hehe. Oh yeah! She had an abscess behind her armpit about a month ago. She actually developed one in the same place twice with about a half a month in between. This was most likely because I have difficulty clipping her nails because she squirms a lot, so I wasn't keeping up with it the way I should have been. I've been monitoring her in case an infection develops, and so far so good. She most likely developed the abscess from excessive scratching due to having mites. :[ I'm having a lot of trouble keeping mites off of her. I bathe her in dawn soap an put a little coconut oil on her fur after the bath when I notice she is itching a lot. That seems to help her stay moisturized. She loves coconut oil.

Sorry about the heavy text! I just wanted to be thorough so I could hopefully get some good advice. ^_^Thank you for taking the time to read everything!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
For mites, order kitten revolution from joespetmeds petsofoz or petshed. You'll need one tube, three drops from it.

Had she just woken up? A bit of porphyrin is actually normal especially if they hasn't groomed themselves off yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts