Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rats have decided to start chewing through the bottom of their cage (it is plastic). So I have a trade set up for a ferret nation cage but it is heavily used and does not even have shelves. I have to build most of it and am very pressed for money.

The cage is heavily rusted in some areas and pet friendly primer and paint is expensive. Would it be dangerous if I remove the rust and just leave it with no paint?

Also, does anyone know of a way I can tie the shelves I'm improvising to the cage? Some kind of metal tie?

Thank you
(I need to know by tomorrow because thats when i will be bringing the cage to trade)

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I would hold on until you have more money to buy either a new or in good shape critter nation for your rats. How many rats do you have? How are you housing them right now?

Rat safe paint isn't cheap, and it would take you days to take all the rust of that cage...the paint will have to cure for three weeks (preferably outside or at least not in your rats room) before it would be safe to put your rats in it.

You could apply for PayPal Credit and pay for a new cage with it. PayPal credit doesn't impact your credit score even with a late payment, that's because it doesn't report your account to anyone. With PayPal Credit if you spend more than $149 you have 6 months to repay WITHOUT any interest rates.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have time. My rats are chewing out of the cage, The holes are not big enough right now but they will be soon. I need the cage this week. I have 2 rats, one male one female.
I just need to know if its dangerous to leave them in the bare metal cage. I would have to put the rats in a tank that I know is to small if the holes get big enough or i have to paint the cage.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I would not let them in a rusted cage. If you take all the rust off, it would be ok; however if they pee on it, the pee will sink into the metal and stink the cage. Not too much of a problem if you paint it anyway...however you will still need another cage for at least three weeks, the time it takes for the paint to cure. It is not safe to put your rats in a cage that has just been painted, you really need to wait three weeks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I understand... but I'm not painting the cage, nor would I ever let my rats live in a rusty one? I just want to know if the bare metal will hurt them?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I don't believe the bare metal would hurt them, it is just that if they pee while climbing the cage, the stink of the pee won't go away and the rusting will return. You won't be able to clean the cage either without the rust to come back. So even though the bare metal would be ok; not being able to clean the cage well is a problem. That is why I mentioned painting the cage, although I understand you don't have the time to do so since you need to be able to use the cage right away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thank you for answering my questions. I will be sure to dry my cage after i clean it :cool:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
As long as the cage is rust free you should be ok. However any rust will get on their paws and end up in their month which over time is bad for your rats' health.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Bare metal is fine, however it will rust up fast. What I'd recommend is derusting and building up only half the cage and putting them in that. That lets you de rust and treat the other half in "slow time". Pet safe paint needn't be very expensive if your only touching up the rusted patches. Over here you can use things like japlac, plasticote and hammerite enamel paint. You could even use a kitchen worksurface safe varnish though it wont last as long (but is none toxic). Touching up the bare metal and letting it dry for 2-3 days will see tha cage lasting a lot longer. Then swap the rats, do the other half, then assemble into a lovely big cage.

Fail to derust it and your new cage wont last that long with bare metal and rat pee. They do have a surprisingly good aim for the worst possible places.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts