Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First rat's symptoms:
  • recurrent mammary tumor (first one was surgically removed)
  • vaginal bleeding in the form of drops and tiny clots and rat was doing owie stretches
  • vaginal bleeding stopped
  • blood in the urine started afterwards with lots of volume
  • antibiotics prescribed by vet didn't help rat
  • rat passed away
Second rat's symptoms:
  • blood in the urine; not too much volume or large puddles
  • has energy and isn't showing signs of pain (yet)
Both girls were housed separately because the first rat was a ninja rat and would rip open her cagemates. During her illness I didn't handle my other rats much because my focus was on my visibly sick girl.

Is it a coincidence that my second rat has blood in her urine or could it have something to do with my first rattie's symptoms?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Coincidental. UTI's are not contagious and neither are many other things with classic bloody urine symptoms (cancers, crystals). I can guarantee she is in pain if there is blood in her urine so please get her to a vet for antibiotics and pain meds if you have not already. It is fairly common for female rats to have issues like this so if they are similar in age and the second rat has not been spayed, it is probably just a coincidence.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both girls are a year apart. The first rat (standard eared variegated) one who passed away was 2 1/4 years old. The second rat (double rex aka patchwork hairless dumbo) is a wee bit over a year old.

Everyone always advises take your rat to the vet and I have always done this with unsatisfactory results which is no fault of the vet's. I will have this rat investigated further by having both her urine and blood examined.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.