Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may consider breeding my rats in the far future to expand my mischief and I was wondering if you think it is worth it or if I should just get rats from a breeder again (or adopt from a rescue if any are available)??

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Now my opinion is biased, but I say definitely not. Not only will you lose a lot of money (toys, food, bedding, etc.) you will be producing more rats when there are already many in need of good homes, and many others being produced every day. It's far better to give homes to those rats already here by rescuing. If there are no rescues near you, check Petfinder and Craigslist, and if there are no rats there you can get rats from a reputable breeder who breeds not for money. It's just not worth it if all you want is to expand your mischief.

Edit: Oh, and if you also want to raise a litter you can see if you can find a pregnant momma rat in a rescue :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I prefer to acquire my rats from either responsible breeders or legitimate rescue organizations. Responsible breeders research genetics and work toward bettering their lines to produce healthier and happier rats. Legitimate rescue organizations help find good homes for existing rats in need.

I try to avoid pet stores, feeder breeders, and backyard breeders. Pet store and feeders are often synonymous. Little thought is put into how their rats are bred so instead of improvement, we may be seeing genetic lines actually getting weaker. Pet store/feeders are often not cared for properly and that can impact a rat's health for the rest of their lives. Backyard breeders may sell on facebook or craigslist and they may be advertising rescue or "oops litters." These rats may be even worse off than pet store/feeder rats.

While I don't think breeding your own rats is always the most responsible choice, I think it's better than purchasing rats from a store or feeder bin. I definitely understand the allure of having your own litter from birth.

If it's something you're considering doing casually, make sure you do a ton of research first. Be prepared to accept the consequences. Sometimes pregnancies go wrong and you may lose a beloved pet in the process. Also, make sure you're either able to provide a good home for a dozen+ babies or make sure you have homes lined up for any number that you may not be able to keep.

If you're thinking about becoming a hobby breeder, that's another thing completely. You'll want to do some research on whether or not there are any other breeders in your area and what the demand might be for rats. You wouldn't want to start kicking out a dozen rats a month only to find that you can only sell two or three. Breeding is a lot of work and money with pretty much zero return. I think you could probably expect that it will cost you more money than you will make back.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and if you also want to raise a litter you can see if you can find a pregnant momma rat in a rescue :D
While I don't think breeding your own rats is always the most responsible choice, I think it's better than purchasing rats from a store or feeder bin. I definitely understand the allure of having your own litter from birth.

If it's something you're considering doing casually, make sure you do a ton of research first. Be prepared to accept the consequences. Sometimes pregnancies go wrong and you may lose a beloved pet in the process. Also, make sure you're either able to provide a good home for a dozen+ babies or make sure you have homes lined up for any number that you may not be able to keep.
It would definitely be casual. I have three leftover cages and can split my critter nation so I definitely have space to keep a full litter and a momma(according to a cage calculator I can house 28 rats in all). I even have an old 20 gal tank that I can use for a nursery cage. I would probably end up keeping momma and 1 or 2 female babies and get homes for the rest but will gladly take more if needed. I would definitely research TONS before I raised a litter and would see if another breeder would mentor me before I attempted to raise a litter.

I will definitely look at rescues because it is the process of raising a litter that I am looking for :)

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
653 Posts
even have an old 20 gal tank that I can use for a nursery cage.
I don’t know the logistics of breeding so I can’t help you in that aspect, but if you do end up breeding, I would recommend getting a small bunny cage (as long as momma cannot escape) instead of a tank.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a small birdcage (~4 cu ft) with a deep pan that will work in place of the tank if I need to use it :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been researching and watching Isamu rats and decided I will wait until a pregnant momma needs a home and adopt her. So, plz send me a message if you find any within two hours of Wilmington, NC :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts