Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rats seem to go through their food very fast. I put in enough for a week, and they eat it all within two days. Recently, my gf has told me to just put a little bit in their bowl each morning and possibly some more in the afternoon. They also drink a lot at nights as well (The bigger one tends to push away the smaller one to go first) It makes a lot of noise when they drink, so I have also been removing their bottles at night so that me and my gf can get some proper sleep. I was just wondering if it's good to limit their food since they have become really heavy.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That depends on how heavy they are exactly. If they're not overweight then I'd keep giving them the same amount. Giving less could lead to squabbling over food, so unless it's absolutely necessary I wouldn't do it. I also would NOT take their water away at night regardless of how noisy it is. You should consider getting a box fan or white noise machine to cover up the sound; that is what I do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both seem to be overweight. One more than the other. I do give them healthy snacks now and then during the day (some leattuce, carrots, or veggie straws), but the biggr one is already much of a brute.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Are they active (running wheel, climbing, free ranging, etc)? Perhaps post some pictures and get weight measurements from a kitchen scale

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
To control water noise, get them one of these: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Bird-...qhZOTg-B7TYYCj6DbWIciKLmtapPVQ-potxoC_e_w_wcB It's totally silent. I have two in my critter nation cage and they work well. just make sure your rats aren't chewing the wells where the water goes, and always check to make sure the water is filling the well and is accessible and not getting too diry. It needs to be wiped out everytime you fill it to keep from too much debris building up. Most pet stores carry this, it's meant for birds, so look in the bird section. I wouldn't take away their water. Have your current water bottle and the water silo next to each other, and then at night remove the bottle if it makes too much noise. They will use just the silent silo instead.

If you limit their food, I dont think it's too bad. What I would do if they're a little chubby, is feed twice a day like you thought. But put in at least 2 bowls, or just scatter feed and sprinkle the kibbles around the cage so they have to hunt them down (good enrichment too!) and won't be fighting over a single bowl. Hide their kibbles in their bed and maybe put it in a small box full of shredded newspaper, and just sprinkle it around the floor of the cage and on hammocks and such. It would be good to make it fun for them, and they would work harder to get the food if they're hungry. They'd enjoy shredding the toys that kibbles are hidden in.

I've read about a small study done where they fed the rats only every other day so they let the rats go without food for 24 hours, and those partially starved rats ended up living longer. But I would feel it is too mean to that. But feeding limited quantities twice a day should be fine. Just try the scatter feeding method and see how it goes. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts