Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick glance at Stig, and you can definitely tell he's not necessarily... small (let's put it that way). :p

I love my little fatso to death and beyond, and I most certainly don't mind his roundness, but I can't help but worry about his health... do you think he's getting TOO fat for his own good? Should he go on a little diet maybe?... He's got a "little" fat pouch and a couple of belly rolls. His mobility is not affected though...

Rat Vertebrate Mammal Mouse Muridae Mammal Rat Vertebrate Mouse Muridae Vertebrate

I've been thinking about how I could help him out here, but it's complicated seeing as my other big boy, Pop, is quite lean indeed and not in need of a diet at all... plus I have a little baby now that needs access to food at all times.
Any ideas on how to sort this out? ???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Generally male rats are a little rotund anyway, how old is stig?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you have any kitchen scales? You could weigh him. The average weight for a male is 450-650g. My largest male looks about as round as your boy but only weight 460g so looks can be deceiving! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a kitchen scale... I've been on the lookout for one that's good/that I can afford and I'll definitely weight him as soon as I get it!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't have a kitchen scale... I've been on the lookout for one that's good/that I can afford and I'll definitely weight him as soon as I get it!
I don't know if you have the store Target in your area or not but I got one that goes up to 750g at Target for under 10$ :). At least it would give you a scale until you could find a nice one you like :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
My rats are scared of the scale, for some bizarre reason. I tried putting food on there and taring it to entice them on--no dice. Ran and hid in my hair from the evil, evil scale monster!

...it's so weird!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if you have the store Target in your area or not but I got one that goes up to 750g at Target for under 10$ :). At least it would give you a scale until you could find a nice one you like :)
I live in Sweden, so no Target around here. :p
I've seen plenty of cheap scales around, but I need a fairly sensitive one for it to actually be useful and worth the buy... I'd get a cheap one just for the time being, but life is really tough, and I really can't justify spending any money whatsoever on something that I eventually won't use. Every penny counts.

Someone in my boyfriends family might have a scale that they don't mind me putting a rat on... I'll have to ask around!
(Swedes insist on measuring everything in volume rather than weight, so you'd be surprised at how rare kitchen scales are! haha)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, a little update on Stig:
I was able to put him on a diet by removing his favorite snacks (rice puffs) from the food mix - that way he doesn't get greedy and eat them all. He looks to have slimmed down a bit!

But the true reason for this update - I bought a scale.

Stig weighs 696g. That's post-diet. haha
Check out his belly rolls:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh my.. fatty ratty! Well.. at least he's cute! Give him more veggies :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts