Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spouse brought home an adorable dark rat pup to grow with our male blue and brown hooded rat. The dark rat has a long charcoal grey tail, narrow head, large ears and white tummy. Looks, physically, like a rattus rattus; and was sold as a male rat. However, from head to rump, Igor is now about 4" long and I do not see any evidence of male equipment. Thus, I have 2 questions for the pros here. What is the likelihood of this being a rattus rattus descendant, and what is the likelihood of having a litter if the gender was misread? Sorry, camera is down at the moment.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rattus Rattus? Highly unlikely.

A litter? Well, if the rat is over six weeks and has been in with your male, and is female, it could, theoretically, be possible. However, she may yet still be too young.

Check here: for how to sex if you think his testes may not have dropped yet: http://www.ratz.co.uk/sexingrats.html

And separate them until you're positive!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Boy...big gap between anus and urethra...the testes develop here

Girl...small gap between

You're probably safe with the pregnancy but definitely remove her.

Here is Tucker an agouti berkshire (white belly, front socks, etc) who is the wild colour but he is very much domestic.

Same agouti berk again

And his brother a black berk

Hope that helps with the colour.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the scoop! I hope to have the camera up later when Mrs teal gets back. Igor does look alot like the Berkshire agoutis, although the tail is definitely dark charcoal. We exercise the "boys" usually in the evening. Initially, we had 2 blues, Will & Jack. Jack was my fave pet ever, not liking to be petted. But he would dash about, come back to my shoulder, brux, dash about all crazy rat, stick his nose in my ear and in my nose (!), then dash about all crazy rat. He won my heart, and 3 weeks after we got him home, died in 36 hours from an upper respiratory. Many vet bills with these boys. Later, we got the brown hooded (Boris) to keep Will company. He is a luv, but he has a rough groom, and tends to snuggle with the Mrs. Igor is gentle and still somewhat of a wallflower. Growing like a weed! Will tends to be a daddy rat unless the Mrs is prepping food. He is an ace shoulder rider.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i would seperate them as soon as poss until ur 100% sure, you dont want o be hearing the piter patter of 20 or so little feet

im sorry about jack, it must be difficult to loose a pet so quickly and so
suddenly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are very informative photos of young rats. As we compare Igor to the photos, we are figuring we have a young male rat. Looks like we will try to do a photo tomorrow.

I buried little Jack in a spot in the front yard that needed sweetening up. He was once again a reminder of how precious and fragile life can be. I am grateful that his brother Will has treated me so well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction. Igor is female. Batteries are dead in the camera so we are stuck for a bit on getting a photo. I would still like to get her big ears and charcoal grey tail up to show you in color! The Mrs' intent is to spay, but this depends on being able to find someone in the world competent to handle the task. Igor is relatively small at this point. Interesting that when the Mrs originally acquired Igor, she was categorized as male. Also, the spacing does seem broader with Igor at least by this old soldier's eyesight. Anyway, Boris & Will were very merrily mating with her last night so they are quite a content group today.

We will have the resources for this even if it means large separate cages, so it will turn out. Our only other pet is an older white cat who has long lost her hunting instincts and is only mildly curious about our rats.

·
Registered
549 Posts
eep mating? You're probably going to have a litter now, though if she as with males in the store you probably got her pregnant. Id separate her from the boys now on the off chance that she isn't pregant (not likely at this point)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes, don't leave the poor thing in them! :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
For sure they were mating? The female would arch her back up for the male to be able to mate with her. Males also do dominance humping (its not sexual but to show the humpee that they are less dominant than they are...females will also do this.

I would definitely remove Igor until someone can sex him/her properly (take him/her to your vet?) and pray Igor's not a female and not in heat at the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After many calls Igor is going to the vet tomorrow. Any good vibes her way would be much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts