Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it okay for rats to ride in cars for a while? Sometimes I have to take my rat Templeton in the car. I have to take him on short car trips. We go in the car for about 3 hours when we are going to the beach, We do not go THAT often, just maybe every 3 weekends or so. I have a carrying cage for him and everything. Is it okay though?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmm. Well, it might not be good if the car is very hot. But if you have to take the rat, give him a nice carrying cage with some celery or other watery veggie. He'll probably sleep most of the way.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've taken my boys in a car plenty of times and they're fine! Make sure they have plenty of water, or if you're worried about spills, a slice of watermelon does the job for short periods of time. And some food!

I actually take my big boys in a cat carrier, with a water bottle attached to the cage-like door, and a little net with some food in. Towels on the floor, hammock attached to the top.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Another good idea to keep ratties warm or cold is to make a beanbag (if you're handy with sewing) fill it with rice or wheat among a few other things. Just heat it in your microwave in winter and stick it in your freezer in summer and it will keep them warm or cool. I found the idea from http://dapper.com.au/toys.htm#beanbags . Check it out if you're handy with sewing =).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Grapes are great for little hydrating snacks, too.

And don't stick the carrier cage in the floorboard. I've heard of at least one owner who had a rat asphyxiate that way.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah i was going to add about the not putting the cage on the floorboard thing -- keep them on a seat. carbon monoxide can seep back into a car from underneath, and since it's heavy it will sit on the floorbaords and could suffocate your rats. :(

·
Registered
321 Posts
Also buckle in your rattie carrier =). This will keep you and your ratties safe in the case of an abrupt stop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm so glad that someone asked this! I was planning on taking my rats with me when I go to our place in southern Indiana. Its about a 3-1/2 hour ride. Thanks for the good tips!

Debbie

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for posting eveyone! I really likes the tips that you gave me of putting the watery food in his carrier!

Thanks again!

Please keep posting! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for posting eveyone! I really likes the tips that you gave me of putting the watery food in his carrier!

Thanks again!

Please keep posting! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry about posting th same thing twice!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whenever I'd take Perry (or Stuart before he died) I'd never take them too far. They seemed to do Okay DURING the trip if they could see me...but for some reason Perry always...uh....have digestion issues and make a mess...so needless to say I don't put him in the car too often!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im in college so whenever I go home for the weekend or break I take the ratties with me, which now means 2 adults females and 6 baby ratties because of an unplanned pregancy. They dont seem to mind at all. I always warm the car up first since its winter and I put in some extra things for them to hide in. They are pretty use to it now. They all walk around and eat snacks on the ride. I keep them in the backseat because my boyfriend comes too, but I always make sure to peek at them at red lights, and my boyfriend is always checking up and handing out extra snacks during the hour drive.
It makes me feel like a mother though making sure we have all the food snacks and necessaties for the weekend. I actually have a special bag where there stuff can go in for the weekend, like a diaper bag.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would advise against letting them roam freely the backseat. A rat carrier, securely fastened with a seat buckle, is much safer in the event that you make a sudden stop. Or, if someone should hit you.

I've been in two car accidents, one as a passenger and one as a driver, both of which were the other vehicle's fault. So I know just how unexpectedly these things can happen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am taking my three ratties with me in May. It is a two hr trip-- thanks for the advice-- I always buckle my carrier in a seatbelt even if its just to the vet

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good for you!! *hands yogie*
As long as you follow the tips here you'll arrive at your destination with happy ratties =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts