Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wondering if it is best to quarantine all new ratty additions? I have a solitary rat at the moment (not by choice, he was the only boy left of the litter and no other litters around at the time), and am hoping to get a cage mate for him in the next few weeks (finally a new litter is pending from a local breeder!). Is it advisable to keep them separate for a while (if so, how long?) until I'm certain there are no health issues with the new rat? Or if I'm confident in the breeder (which I am), is it okay to just go right ahead after initial meetings, to house them together?

TIA! :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Even if you got your rats from the same place, I would say yes you should definitely quarantine the new rats. You don't want the rat you already have at home catching something from your new rats. They can catch respiratory infections (which can be very bad), mites and other things. So definitely make sure you quarantine your new rats before introducing them to the ones you already have. A separate room in your house should do fine, just make sure you wash your hands after handling them before the others.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sendai is airborne and survives on clothing for 3 hours so hand washing won't protect you from that and nor will a separate room. The important thing is to be aware, choose a quarantine location and method that you're personally comfortable with. We can't do complete separate airspace but have at least a different floor of the house and don't handle newbies before handling existing rats each day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant, thanks everyone. I've only ever bought rats in pairs before, who were already sharing a cage, so have not needed to deal with quarantine before.

Going to meet some baby ratties and bring one home on Tuesday, so will have the spare cage set up in a different room of the house (single level house so no option for a separate floor). I've never had an issue with a sick rat before, so hoping I can continue that streak! Will keep them separated for at least 2 weeks and see how I go after that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts