Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my first rats, Roxi and Rosie on the 16th of February, 2013.
They are lovely, both of them are, but Roxi is something different. She's my heartrat, I know that. I also know, that her life is coming to an end. She's slowing down (very slightly, but I notice it) and she's got two small lumps behind both her front legs. I know she's not going to live forever, and i've had other pets in the past, that have passed away due to old age or other things. But I literally, don't know how i'm going to cope without her.

She's not a support animal, she's not one of those animals that people have to help with anxiety or other things similar. She's kept as a pet and like I said, I have had other animals just like her (none of them being rats, but guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters) and I coped fine. When my first hamster died, I cried for a whole day, but the next day, I was fine. I was 14 when she died. When one of my rabbits died (she was my favourite) I cried for a day, and the next day, I was a bit quiet and withdrawn, but I was okay. Roxi is still very much alive, but just thinking about life without her is just horrible. I'm tearing up already.

I can see her, she's in her cage. I just put her back from when I let her run around all my herself without any of the other girls (she's special and gets extra time out of the cage) and she's looking at me. She's my everything. She cheers me up when i'm upset, she makes me laugh, she's just the friendliest animal I have ever had. She's the rat I let people hold because she is so good with people. Not only is she good with people, but she's good with other rats too. So easy to introduce to other rats, she's so submissive, she doesn't want conflict. She just wants to eat and snuggle :')

I don't know why i'm feeling so upset about this, its no where near her time yet, she's still herself. Still eating, running around, behaving like a normal rat. But I still can't help but feel sad :( Its horrible and I wish it would go away. I don't know how i'm going to cope without her. She's my baby...

Is this normal? I don't think it is :(

·
Registered
581 Posts
That sounds more than reasonable. Some animals just find a way to burrow straight into the center of your heart and your life. Feeling so unhappy about the passing of such a wonderful animal is never a bad thing. Cherish her and love her until her last day and don't ever feel like it's unreasonable to take as long as you possibly need to learn to live without her. I hope she lives a very long life with you, she seems to have quite a while yet and these morbid thoughts can be supressed for now. :3

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Rats are just slightly different to most other small furry animals.... somehow they can achieve a bi-directional bond with us.... I suppose dogs, certain birds, some cats and primates fall into the same class... but we more or less expect it with dogs and other "large" pets, less so when we adopt rats.

Also, rats lives tend to be shorter than any other bonded pet, so we see them grow up age and decline faster... it's rather unfair. So yes, what you are feeling is totally normal...

I try to console my daughter by explaining that short lives is an ecological deal rats have made so that young rats have a better chance to grow up without competing with the older and wiser ones, and it gives more rats the opportunity to live and the species to adapt more quickly... but that really doesn't help much... If anything, I try and focus on how short a rats life is and try to make each day with them as special as possible. In the end, rats can live rich fulfilled lives. They are playful children and important adults capable of pretty grand achievements, then they age into wise and loving seniors. All in all a rats life is very similar to ours, just lived in fast forward.

I suppose all we can do is to make every day we have with our best furry friends the best it can be for them as well as ourselves... Yes, it's sad when rats age and die so quickly, but sadder yet when they waste the short time they have sitting around waiting to be loved and played with. If I had any sage advise, and I'm not sure I do... all I would add is to focus on the time you and Roxi have left and not on the time you don't. When Roxi is gone it's the memories of the special times you shared that will keep her spark of joy alive in your heart.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I know exactly how you're feeling; I went through it not so long ago myself. Lilly was my heart rat. She was my baby, my everything. When I rescued her it wasn't just me saving her, she saved me.

I'm not going to lie, when your baby passes it will not be easy. They say time heals all wounds and that is true, but they never said how much time it will take. There are days that I can talk about her and smile at her memory, then there are days I cry at the mear mention of her name.

What you're feeling is natural and it has a name, love. I recommend you spend as much time with her as you can. Take photos and videos of her; I wish I had more of Lilly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad to hear that this is normal!
I just hate this feeling though :( Its horrible.

Hey-Fay
I'm sorry to hear about Lily passing :( *hugs*
I have tons and tons of photos and videos of her! Thats one thing that i'm glad i've managed to do throughout her whole life :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts